intellectual assumptions/being patronised — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

intellectual assumptions/being patronised

arbfy2
arbfy2 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
Why do able-bodied people assume that everyone with a physical "disability" MUST have a  mental one also? I have gained an economics degree post-injury.

Comments

• TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    I have both a physical disability and a mental health one, but my ptsd does not impact on my intellect, unless I'm in the grips of insomnia or a panic attack, and then all bets are off.

In relation to your question though, I'm hit with a triple whammy; I'm obviously physically disabled, I'm female and I'm short in stature.  So I fully agree with you that we are treated more like young children than the adults we are.
  • arbfy2
    i'm 6'2" and am often talked to like I'm 6;on one occasion, I was asked if I needed any help (said in that childish drawl). I was then at university and I answered "can you tell me the difference between the narrow and broad definitions of money supply measure M0. At which point, they walked off.
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    I was asked by a 6 year old today if I needed any help, but he did speak to me like an adult.
  • arbfy2

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.