I claim new style ESA, ESA Support Group, and UC. Will I lose my benefits now I'm married? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

I claim new style ESA, ESA Support Group, and UC. Will I lose my benefits now I'm married?

cbyrne01 Member Posts: 5 Listener
I am 53 next month and have Crohn's Disease and Psoriatic Arthritis. I struggle everyday with double incontinence and pain in my joints. 
I had to give up my job teaching 3 years ago due to toilet issues and for the first time claim benefits. 
I get new ESA plus I am in the support group. UC tops this up as I had moved in with my parents.
I was lucky to meet a kind and very supportive man who has helped me cope with the above and my mental health. After courting for 3 years we married recently and I moved from Suffolk to Norfolk. My husband is a retired DCI and has a private pension and reaches state pension age next year. I am worried that I will lose these benefits and independence now we are married. I have contacted the DWP to let them know my change of circumstances and to check my eligibility but they are telling me I have to make a joint claim  I don't understand why as my medical circumstances are the same.
Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?
Thank you


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,781 Disability Gamechanger

    Your New Style ESA will not be affected because this a contributions based benefit and isn't affected by savings/capital or living with a partner.
    For your UC your entitlement will be based on both of your circumstances because you're living together as a couple. Your partner will need to make a claim for UC and you will need to report the changes onto your journal. You will then be sent a linking code to join both claims together. Your partners private pension will reduce your UC £1 for £1. Whether there will be any UC entitlement will depend on both of your circumstances.
    If you've been living together without claiming UC as a couple then you may have an overpayment of UC which will need to be repaid back.
  • cbyrne01
    cbyrne01 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi Poppy
    Thank you so much for your advice it has really helped and put my mind to rest.
    My husband doesn't want to claim UC therefore am I able to stop UC altogether or will this affect my ESA? It isn't clear as to why there should be a need for a joint claim. I have let UC know via my journal and only moved to Norfolk after the wedding on 28th August 21.
    Thank you

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,781 Disability Gamechanger
    UC is a means tested benefit and when you live with a partner you claim as a couple and both your circumstances will be taken into consideration.
    If you want to stop claiming UC then you need to put a note on your journal asking for your claim to be closed. Do be aware that if your UC includes any help with the rent then this will also end when your UC stops.  This won't affect your ESA entitlement and you will conitinue to receive the same ESA payments every fortnight.

  • cbyrne01
    cbyrne01 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you Poppy
    I will do that now.

  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 5,996

    Scope community team

    Welcome to the community @cbyrne01 :) I hope that poppy123456's replies above have helped. Please do keep us updated with how you get on, and feel free to ask any further questions if needed.

    Just to let you know, I've moved your post into our ESA category and renamed it so that other members can find it more easily.
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Teddybear12
    Teddybear12 Member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    @cbyrne01 I hope you enjoy being part of the Community. If you have any further questions please ask. 
  • cbyrne01
    cbyrne01 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you Tori Poppy was very helpful and has put my mind to rest.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.