I claim new style ESA, ESA Support Group, and UC. Will I lose my benefits now I'm married? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I claim new style ESA, ESA Support Group, and UC. Will I lose my benefits now I'm married?

cbyrne01
cbyrne01 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I am 53 next month and have Crohn's Disease and Psoriatic Arthritis. I struggle everyday with double incontinence and pain in my joints. 
I had to give up my job teaching 3 years ago due to toilet issues and for the first time claim benefits. 
I get new ESA plus I am in the support group. UC tops this up as I had moved in with my parents.
I was lucky to meet a kind and very supportive man who has helped me cope with the above and my mental health. After courting for 3 years we married recently and I moved from Suffolk to Norfolk. My husband is a retired DCI and has a private pension and reaches state pension age next year. I am worried that I will lose these benefits and independence now we are married. I have contacted the DWP to let them know my change of circumstances and to check my eligibility but they are telling me I have to make a joint claim  I don't understand why as my medical circumstances are the same.
Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?
Thank you
CB

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,937 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Your New Style ESA will not be affected because this a contributions based benefit and isn't affected by savings/capital or living with a partner.
    For your UC your entitlement will be based on both of your circumstances because you're living together as a couple. Your partner will need to make a claim for UC and you will need to report the changes onto your journal. You will then be sent a linking code to join both claims together. Your partners private pension will reduce your UC £1 for £1. Whether there will be any UC entitlement will depend on both of your circumstances.
    If you've been living together without claiming UC as a couple then you may have an overpayment of UC which will need to be repaid back.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cbyrne01
    Hi Poppy
    Thank you so much for your advice it has really helped and put my mind to rest.
    My husband doesn't want to claim UC therefore am I able to stop UC altogether or will this affect my ESA? It isn't clear as to why there should be a need for a joint claim. I have let UC know via my journal and only moved to Norfolk after the wedding on 28th August 21.
    Thank you

CB
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,937 Disability Gamechanger
    UC is a means tested benefit and when you live with a partner you claim as a couple and both your circumstances will be taken into consideration.
    If you want to stop claiming UC then you need to put a note on your journal asking for your claim to be closed. Do be aware that if your UC includes any help with the rent then this will also end when your UC stops.  This won't affect your ESA entitlement and you will conitinue to receive the same ESA payments every fortnight.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cbyrne01
    Thank you Poppy
    I will do that now.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @cbyrne01 :) I hope that poppy123456's replies above have helped. Please do keep us updated with how you get on, and feel free to ask any further questions if needed.

Just to let you know, I've moved your post into our ESA category and renamed it so that other members can find it more easily.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • cbyrne01
    Thank you Tori Poppy was very helpful and has put my mind to rest.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.