Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is madmactouche! I am now looking into leaving work

madmactouche Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2021 in Work and employment
i have worked for an NHS trust for over 18 years, and over the last couple of years i have struggled with chronic pain in the base/coccyx of my back, and arthritis.
i am now looking into leaving work, as my health is getting worse and i feel that physically i can no longer go on.
i am worried about the financial side, and how i would live without a wage coming in??


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,282 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you spoke to your employer about reasonable adjustments? This may help you to remain in work for longer.
    If that's not possible, you shouldn't just give up work before getting some expert advice,  especially as you've been working there for so long.
    SSP is payable from your employer for 28 weeks
    As well as the SSP you can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming. A claiming for UC will end any tax credits you may already be claiming. If you live with a partner you claim as a couple.
    Alternative to that 3 months before your SSP ends you'll be able to start a claim for New Style ESA, payments won't start until your SSP ends. You'll need a fit note from your GP and the SSP1 form from your employer to be able to claim this. It's based on your NI contributions in the 2 previous tax years prior to your claim.  It pays £74.70 for 1 year unless you're placed in the Support Group and then it's paid for as long as you remain in that group.
    If you claim both UC and NsESA together then the ESA is deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected

    Hi @madmactouche

    A warm welcome to the community.

    Thank you for sharing this with us.  I’m sorry to hear about your current situation.  I appreciate that working through this, along with your health circumstances can’t be easy and hope you are managing ok. 

    As the previous poster has mentioned, if you haven’t already, it might be worth speaking to your employer about providing reasonable adjustments, or the Access to Work scheme: a government grant you can apply for to help pay for specialist assessments and adjustments.

    Further information can be found here:

    ·  Reasonable adjustments at work

    ·  Access to Work grant scheme

    I hope some of this information will be useful to you.  Please let us know how you are getting on, or if there is any further assistance we can provide.

  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

    As advised above you should not just leave instead speak to your hr dept about your options 

    This could be reduced hours or duties or medical dismissal or even ill health retirement if pension provider allows 

    You should ask to be referred to oh for a work place assessment so they can recommend the best option for you 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.