Any advice for LCWRA phone assessment? Would I need to have a separate assessment for PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Any advice for LCWRA phone assessment? Would I need to have a separate assessment for PIP?

Wookie66 Member Posts: 7 Listener
edited October 9 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi,  everyone  :).
So, finally in the post today I had my appointment letter,telling me that my phone assessment for LCWRA  will be next Tuesday.
So any advice from anyone who has had a phone assessment, like what expect etc, would much appreciated,
DWP also said i should apply for pip as well, which i know requires a medical assessment also. My question being this,
is it the same medical services that deal with medical ,for both LCWRA & PIP, and if so would i need to have a second medical for PIP, or can they use the results from the LCWRA medical.
Thanks everyone.
Hope you all have a great day.


  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,538 Disability Gamechanger
    There is no "medical" for PIP. Think of it as a conversation about your ability to perform the points scoring activities reliably. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,910 Disability Gamechanger
    LCWRA and PIP are 2 completely different benefits, with totally different criteria and are both completed by different assessment providers. Claiming one doesn't automatically entitle you to the other. The work capability assessment (WCA) for LCWRA is to assess your ability to do any type of work. PIP is not about your ability to work, people claim PIP and work. Neither or them are medical assessments.
    For your WCA they will want to know a typical day for you and how your conditions affect you. There's information here.
    Regarding the PIP. Have you had a look at the descriptors? I'm not sure how someone from "DWP" can give anyone this advice because they don't know how your conditions affect you. It's not awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. See link. I'd advise having a look at the descriptors and to get some expert advice before applying because not everyone with a disability qualifies for PIP.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.