Question for wheelchair users - is there a trick to help when on a sloped pavement? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Question for wheelchair users - is there a trick to help when on a sloped pavement?

Daniel_2021
Daniel_2021 Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
Hi,
I'm new to using a wheelchair, i'm due to get my bespoke chair on 27th so i'm in an intermediate one at the moment.
My question is: Is there a trick or any technique that helps when on a pavement?
Although the slope towards the pavement is only slight it really impacts one arm whilst the other gets a break (until the way back!). I'm just trying to improve my technique in the hope of travelling greater distances.
Thanks,
Daniel 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

I presume you are referring to a manual chair?

Just take the camber at its slightest point

Using manual chair is very hard especially on hills

I use a manual chair in the house but a power chair or scooter outside as there is no way I can sell propel outside 
  • Daniel_2021
    Daniel_2021 Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    @janer1967 Hi, sorry yes I mean a manual one. I'm still that new that i've not even explored power ones yet.
    I've heard the word camber but i'll be honest i'm not too sure what it means. If you have a pavement so the curb is on the left i.e the lowest point should I wheel at the lowest or highest point?
    It might be with the fatigue that I simply can't use a manual one either, I've put so much weight on whilst being in hospital and rehab that I want to try and lose it, I eat more now as I'm fed up and do less exercise than ever, no the best combination.
    Does anyone do sport in their wheelchair? Wheelchair rugby and long distances look great fun.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Tbh using a manual chair outside will be really hard unless you are super fit as soon as you come to a incline or uneven surface it's not easy at all 

Where a pavement slopes (that is a camber) wheel over the lowest level if you go for highest it can throw the chair off balance 

There are lots of sit down exercises on line you can follow and @chiarieds can give you some links 

Ive never tried any sports too unfit and severely sight impaired as well so controlling a chair just to get about is challenge in itself 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 15,988 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Daniel - I'm not a wheelchair user, but as a physio I used to teach my patients in the regional spinal injuries unit how to use a wheelchair in their rehabilitation. I've looked for some videos to help, & I'm sure you'll find more. The first one gives the best technique for wheelchair use I've been able to find, & the 2nd is with a physio. I hope these may help. Please see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiYWU8gwDBc
    As far as sport goes, there's also wheelchair basketball. But to start off, some gentle exercises: https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/73345/gentle-tai-chi-qi-gong-yoga-videos

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.