Worried about your energy bills? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Worried about your energy bills?

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
Are you worried about rising energy prices (The Independent)?

If so, Scope's Disability Energy Support service is here for you. 

They offer free energy advice to disabled people, helping you to manage your energy needs.  

The service is open to:

• any disabled person or household where 1 or more disabled people live, and when
  • those households are in England or Wales

Support with your energy needs

The expert energy advisers can help and talk you through a wide range of topics related to your energy needs, including:

• managing energy debt
  • switching tariffs or supplier
  • changing your meter
  • energy efficiency
  • accessing energy benefits, grants and trusts
  • contacting or complaining to your supplier
  • understanding your gas or electricity bills
  • understanding how to use your heating systems
Disability energy support service supporting disabled people to take charge of their energy needs

Appointments

You will get a telephone appointment with an energy adviser that will last up to 45 minutes. During this appointment you will get information and advice specific to your needs. Your adviser will arrange any follow up appointments, if needed.

To get the most out of your appointment, please try to give your adviser as much detail as possible. You should have pen and paper for taking notes and the following information easily available:

• your most recent gas or electricity bill
  • an up to date meter reading, if possible
  • details of any missed payments or arrears
  • details of any payment plans agreed with your energy supplier

Personalised action plans

You will also get support through a personalised action plan, setting out steps for you to take to resolve the problem. This may include contacting other services for additional advice and support.

Further support  

You can also look at our online advice and support for help with:

If our adviser believes you could be entitled to further benefits or need advice on managing debt not related to energy, they will point you to other services that can help you. 

Apply for energy support now.

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Comments

• Snowflake56
    Snowflake56 Community member Posts: 34 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi,had a rather sleepness night after receiving an email from my energy supplier to say from next month my payments will be £168.00,got no idea how I'm going to find this extra money. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We are off grid for gas and therefore rely on LPG cylinders which isn't a cheap alternative although we have had a good deal for the last year, as for electricity Eon tried to increase our direct debit from £30 to £39.95 a month I reduced it to £34.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I challenged my increase as well as I was in credit and had email to say they had stock pile of energy so not to worry about price increase 

We met halfway I would advise anyone to challenge large increase also advised by Martin Lewis on his money show the other week 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.