My partner's started working, what can we get? I have lung cancer, can I claim ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

My partner's started working, what can we get? I have lung cancer, can I claim ESA?

denise4328 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi we r on income support my partner has started working wat help can we get also I have lung cancer can I claim ESA for my self


  • denise4328
    denise4328 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I also have a 17 old son at college 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,694 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 9
    You need to report the changes to DWP that your partner is working and if they are earning more than £20 per week then your Income Support will stop.
    What is the reason why you're claiming Income Support, is someone claiming Carers Allowance for looking after another person? Do you claim tax credits? how many hours per week is your partner working?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 2,979 Disability Gamechanger
    The only ESA available for new claims is new style ESA which is a contributions based benefit and you would need a full NI record or the tax years 208-19 and 2019-20 to be able to claim.

    The only other benefit available is Universal Credit. If you did claim UC you would need a GP Fit Note and declare your condition when you claim. If you are receiving, expecting to receive or recovering from chemotherapy/radiotherapy you should automatically be treated as having Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity which would increase UC entitlement after 4 months.

    However whether this is right for you depends on your circumstances and what other benefits you currently receive. How much will you partner be earning?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 5,974

    Scope community team

    Welcome to the community @denise4328 :) Please do take a look at the above comments, and let us know a few more details about your situation if you feel comfortable doing so. 

    I'm sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis. Are you receiving enough support to help you manage that? 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.