My partner's started working, what can we get? I have lung cancer, can I claim ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My partner's started working, what can we get? I have lung cancer, can I claim ESA?

denise4328
denise4328 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi we r on income support my partner has started working wat help can we get also I have lung cancer can I claim ESA for my self

Comments

• denise4328
    denise4328 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I also have a 17 old son at college 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    You need to report the changes to DWP that your partner is working and if they are earning more than £20 per week then your Income Support will stop.
    What is the reason why you're claiming Income Support, is someone claiming Carers Allowance for looking after another person? Do you claim tax credits? how many hours per week is your partner working?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    The only ESA available for new claims is new style ESA which is a contributions based benefit and you would need a full NI record or the tax years 208-19 and 2019-20 to be able to claim.

The only other benefit available is Universal Credit. If you did claim UC you would need a GP Fit Note and declare your condition when you claim. If you are receiving, expecting to receive or recovering from chemotherapy/radiotherapy you should automatically be treated as having Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity which would increase UC entitlement after 4 months.

However whether this is right for you depends on your circumstances and what other benefits you currently receive. How much will you partner be earning?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @denise4328 :) Please do take a look at the above comments, and let us know a few more details about your situation if you feel comfortable doing so. 

I'm sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis. Are you receiving enough support to help you manage that? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.