I'm interviewing at a special school next week. Any lesson ideas for developing communication? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm interviewing at a special school next week. Any lesson ideas for developing communication?

Gemma89
Gemma89 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2021 in Education
Hi, I need some help. I am a teacher and I am going for an interview at a special school next week, I need to teach a lesson that is based on developing communication skills for Year 5/6 children working at Year 1 level. Can anyone help me with ideas please? Many thanks xx
Tagged:

Comments

• forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Presumably you are aware of organisations like ICAN, AFASIC and the Communication Consortium (lots of resources on the ICAN website.)  This is a huge subject and in a way your request shows how little teacher training prepares students for working with children with SEND (I did a PGCE some years ago and learned NOTHING about SEND at all)

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Hi @Gemma89

Honestly, my main recommendation would be to get to know the students and their interests and be led by that. However, in the short term, familiar songs and games can be great. You might also find social stories useful, particularly if you can adapt them to the children in your group and their needs and interests. I would also advise you to find out if they use PECS, sign language, Makaton or any other forms of AAC. Access is always a high priority! Does anyone else have any recommendations?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • ellieflower3
    ellieflower3 Community member Posts: 186 Courageous
    Gemma89 said:
    Hi, I need some help. I am a teacher and I am going for an interview at a special school next week, I need to teach a lesson that is based on developing communication skills for Year 5/6 children working at Year 1 level. Can anyone help me with ideas please? Many thanks xx
    be calm and collective. if the children don't follow your rules don't get frustrated just be patient and work with them. you can do this Gem x
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    Hi @Gemma89 There are lots of lesson plans on TES. Good luck with the interview!
  • Gemma89
    Gemma89 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Just for the record, I got the job!!! ?
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Gemma89 said:
    Just for the record, I got the job!!! ?
    Whoop! Huge well done to you :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Awesome, well done @Gemma89! Best of luck for getting started :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Yess, well done @Gemma89. It made my day to see you got the job. I knew you could do it!  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.