I'm interviewing at a special school next week. Any lesson ideas for developing communication? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

I'm interviewing at a special school next week. Any lesson ideas for developing communication?

Gemma89
Gemma89 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 16 in Education
Hi, I need some help. I am a teacher and I am going for an interview at a special school next week, I need to teach a lesson that is based on developing communication skills for Year 5/6 children working at Year 1 level. Can anyone help me with ideas please? Many thanks xx
Tagged:

Comments

• forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Member Posts: 386 Pioneering
    Presumably you are aware of organisations like ICAN, AFASIC and the Communication Consortium (lots of resources on the ICAN website.)  This is a huge subject and in a way your request shows how little teacher training prepares students for working with children with SEND (I did a PGCE some years ago and learned NOTHING about SEND at all)

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 334 Pioneering
    edited October 12
    Hi @Gemma89

Honestly, my main recommendation would be to get to know the students and their interests and be led by that. However, in the short term, familiar songs and games can be great. You might also find social stories useful, particularly if you can adapt them to the children in your group and their needs and interests. I would also advise you to find out if they use PECS, sign language, Makaton or any other forms of AAC. Access is always a high priority! Does anyone else have any recommendations?  :)
    I have expertise in the following subjects, gained through professional settings such as high level education or employment: autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia, down's syndrome, social, emotional and mental health difficulties, assistive technology and education. Pronouns: She/her.
  • ellieflower3
    ellieflower3 Member Posts: 173 Courageous
    Gemma89 said:
    Hi, I need some help. I am a teacher and I am going for an interview at a special school next week, I need to teach a lesson that is based on developing communication skills for Year 5/6 children working at Year 1 level. Can anyone help me with ideas please? Many thanks xx
    be calm and collective. if the children don't follow your rules don't get frustrated just be patient and work with them. you can do this Gem x
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 216 Pioneering
    Hi @Gemma89 There are lots of lesson plans on TES. Good luck with the interview!
  • Gemma89
    Gemma89 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Just for the record, I got the job!!! 😅
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 4,989

Scope community team

Gemma89 said:
    Just for the record, I got the job!!! 😅
    Whoop! Huge well done to you :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 6,060

Scope community team

Awesome, well done @Gemma89! Best of luck for getting started :) 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 334 Pioneering
    Yess, well done @Gemma89. It made my day to see you got the job. I knew you could do it!  :D
    I have expertise in the following subjects, gained through professional settings such as high level education or employment: autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia, down's syndrome, social, emotional and mental health difficulties, assistive technology and education. Pronouns: She/her.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.