I was diagnosed with a second prolapsed disc, and I'm struggling with pain. Any ideas? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I was diagnosed with a second prolapsed disc, and I'm struggling with pain. Any ideas?

bernie27
bernie27 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I was diagnosed with a second prolapsed disc after a mri scan in Aug.  I'm still struggling with pain . Gp has tried me on amitriptyline, gabapentin.  Had to come off both due to side effects.  I'm now on 30mg co codamol x 8 , 500mg naproxen x2 and nortiptaline 20mg night . Heat patches . Had 14 weeks of not feeling both legs  spasms in both thights pain across back .off work for 8 weeks need to get back . My shortest shift is 24hours (yes I do sleep ins ) my longest is 72 hour so as you can see in care it not easy just do what I need . Had enough now , anybody any ideas what I could try . Thanks in advance. Gental hugs xx 
Tagged:

Comments

• natz2009
    natz2009 Community member Posts: 76 Connected
    Hi i am a sufferer of fibromyalgia i recently started using a cream called hemp cream you can buy it off amazon its not illegal or anything and also use tiger balm worth a shot some days it helps some days it dont you can also look at the reviews on amazon it helps a lot of people i to am also on diffrent medications witch dont seem to help 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bernie27 - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry to read you're in so much pain. I have long-standing chronic daily pain, & my GPs have tried me on many pain meds. over the years. Just a thought, as you say you've tried Gabapentin but couldn't tolerate it due to the side effects. Speaking from personal experience, I was the same as yourself. Perhaps it might be worth asking your GP's opinion of Pregabalin, which is in the same family of meds as Gabapentin, but can be taken at a much lower dosage (yet with a similar effect on pain), which means potentially less chance of side effects. 
    I found Pregabalin helps me by dampening the pain down a bit so it's manageable; I think total pain relief alludes many of us, unfortunately. We're all different tho, & it's often a case of trial & error. I also couldn't tolerate even a very low dose of amitriptyline (nor nortriptyline) as both lowered my already low blood pressure.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.