Are rest breaks a reasonable adjustment? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are rest breaks a reasonable adjustment?

Options
Dancinginthemoon
Dancinginthemoon Community member Posts: 8 Connected
edited October 2021 in Work and employment
I've started working in a shop that requires me to be on my feet for 3-4 hours and since I have CP, doing this without rest breaks can cause discomfort/pain in my affected leg. Are rest breaks a reasonable adjustment for the job? 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Dancinginthemoon :) Do you feel comfortable chatting to your employer about the possibility of having rest breaks as a reasonable adjustment? ACAS have some information on their website about reasonable adjustments, too, and you could get in touch with them if you were unsure.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hello @Dancinginthemoon

Thanks for reaching out to us. Rest breaks can certainly be a reasonable adjustment depending on your needs and circumstances. In addition to the link @Tori_Scope provided, I would like to share the Government link with you as it provides more information about reasonable adjustments and what reasonable adjustments may look like. If you are interested, you can find it at https://www.gov.uk/reasonable-adjustments-for-disabled-workers. If you feel comfortable talking with your employer about your needs and the reasonable adjustments you think may support you, that would be your recommended next step. Please let us know if you have any more questions or need our support with anything else  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.