Re-theme launching this morning (Thursday 14 October) — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Re-theme launching this morning (Thursday 14 October)

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,078

Scope community team

Good morning all,

Our community re-theme is launching this morning. As with any major technical changes, there are likely to be disruptions. Things will break!

We ask you to bear with us and please feel free to let us know if something continues to not work.
Community Manager
Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,752 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 14
    HI @Adrian_Scope i notice there's no motoring/Blue badge section and no carers allowance section, is this a perminant thing?
  • Adrian_Scope

Scope community team

Hi @poppy123456

Motoring/Blue badge: 
    This is unlikely to be permanent. For now, we'll encourage motoring, Blue Badge and Motability posts to be made in the Housing, transport, and independent living category, with a view to changing back to a dedicated Motoring/Motability and Blue Badge category in the near future.

Carer's Allowance:
    This may end up being permanent. We have renamed 'What am I entitled to?' as 'Benefits and financial support' and will start encouraging Carer's Allowance posts to be made there and moved into that category.
    It's important to note that all these changes depend on user journey data and continued testing. If future outcomes suggest a dedicated Carer's Allowance category is needed, then we'll recreate it.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 10,516 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Adrian_Scope - I have a similar question about ''Physical impairments' & 'Neurological conditions.' If a person hasn't got CP, it would seem their only choice would be posting in 'Chronic pain' or 'Rare, invisible & undiagnosed conditions' sections......
  • poppy123456
    Thanks Adrian. My first thoughts of the new layout is for me, even more confusing. When clicking on the categories it doesn't always acknowledge that you've done this so i end up having to click a few times. So far i much prefer how it was before. Once you're in that section, it's more difficult to tell whether there's any new threads.  Whether i change my mind once i get used to it remains to be seen. 
  • postmanpat68
    postmanpat68 Member Posts: 11 Listener
    I cannot see anywhere to start a new discussion on any category using windows laptop.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Member Posts: 344 Pioneering
    I’m with Poppy. Quite confusing to be honest. Maybe it’ll just take time to get used to it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,246 Disability Gamechanger
    So far I'm liking the new look but early days and not looked in great detail 

Like that it shows number of view and who last commented on the thread 
    Here to help with my experience in hunan resources and employment rights 
  • ellieflower3
    ellieflower3 Member Posts: 173 Courageous
    I cannot see anywhere to start a new discussion on any category using windows laptop.
    im having that problem 
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • ellieflower3
    Leigh14 said:
    I’m with Poppy. Quite confusing to be honest. Maybe it’ll just take time to get used to it.
    is there a discussion button, I can't see one?
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 2,997 Disability Gamechanger
    Nor on my Mac
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Member Posts: 1,798 Pioneering
    Too left hand corner, three lines, click that. 
  • postmanpat68
    postmanpat68 Member Posts: 11 Listener
    MarkN88 said:

That is only on the mobile version, nowhere to be seen on windows or mac.

• calcotti
    MarkN88 said:
    Can't see that. There's the S with two lines which takes you to the community but I still can't see where to start a discussion.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • MarkM88
    I’ve just looked. On both mobile and desktop at the bottom right there is a purple circle with a plus sign, click that. 
  • chiarieds
    On my desktop, now at top right above Categories, there's +New Post
  • calcotti
    chiarieds said:
    Great - that wasn't there before.
  • poppy123456
    chiarieds said:

Yes, that's the same for me and i agree it was there when i looked earlier. Still don't like the new look at all.
  • Adrian_Scope

Scope community team

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, we've been making tweaks throughout the day (the new post button did vanish for a while but should be accessible in mobile and desktop now). We will be continuing to make tweaks and improvements for some time so please keep your feedback coming. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

• poppy123456
    It feels like there's so much more "clicking" in the old layout you could see if there were any new threads before clicking on that category but now you can't. Another thing that's really annoying is the "annoucements" at the top of the categories because you have to scroll down to see the threads. :/
  • chiarieds
    I'm not liking that people with a physical problem have nowhere to post apart from in Chronic pain. I also don't see the logic in now having neurological conditions in with rare & undiagnosed disorders. Also where have all the posts gone that were under 'Physical impairments & mobility issues'?
    The signature box has gone from being very small to the same text size as a person's reply, which seems a bit much.
  • poppy123456
    chiarieds said:

The signature box has gone from being very small to the same text size as a person's reply, which seems a bit much.

Couldn't agree more with this. It now looks huge and takes up so much space and it also makes the persons comment look rather odd.
  • calcotti
    edited October 14
    chiarieds said:The signature box has gone from being very small to the same text size as a person's reply, which seems a bit much.
    I agree with that - I prefer my signature text to be smaller (although I suppose that can disadvantage those with impaired vision).

I'm not finding the new look very easy on the eyes.

On my iPad, in portrait orientation, I have to scroll to bottom of the page to get to Recent Discussions which is irritating
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Member Posts: 1,969 Pioneering
    Loving the dark mode feature better on my eyes
  • MarkM88
    If the line between the post and the signature could be made bolder? That would separate it more. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,246 Disability Gamechanger
    The dark mode is great for me too 

Found my inbox eventually but not easy to see if you have a pm like the inbox tab that used to be under your name 
    Here to help with my experience in hunan resources and employment rights 
  • ellieflower3
    calcotti said:
    chiarieds said:
    Great - that wasn't there before.
    yup
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • chiarieds
    I really like your idea @MarkN88 - there needs to be some distinction between a text/reply & a signature where used..... that may indeed work.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Member Posts: 4,230 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 14
    I think if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, I liked the old look.

i liked the way you could look down a long list of threads and easily see if there was a new one at a glance. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,272 Disability Gamechanger
    still a shame that the "like" button hasn't been replaced with a "thanks" button like so many other forums.
    Offering PIP advice to people with epilepsy.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,455 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 15
    As per my comments on the sticky post. Mark all as read works for Safari. It does not work for DuckDuckGo so I will have to largely bow out until that is fixed. 

The Dismiss button on threads does not appear to be working on iPads and the top right arrows button to expand this box when editing produces a large black box (in dark mode) with nothing in it.

From an accessibility perspective there is a rookie error on the main page i.e. an image with text over it. I can only express my disappointment that once again a web site does a revamp but chooses multiple font sizes for text so that anyone with visual or dexterity issues has a further obstacle if they want to flag or quote a post for example.

Finally, I am 100% confident I have started 8 discussions rather than 168 and the inability to see all my replies allied to the failure of mark all as read to work with my browser means I have little choice but to absent myself from the site until it’s usable. I’m sure there may be the odd thread which leaps out on the recent discussions page but as viewing them won’t mark them as read then it’s quickly going to become very messy indeed.
  • Adrian_Scope

Scope community team

Thanks for all the feedback so far and please keep it coming, they're helping us to prioritise and decide on changes and improvements. 

@mikehughescq, thank you for the accessibility comments, some of these have already been flagged by our accessibility team and we're working on them. When you say about not being able to see all of your replies, they should be accessible from your profile under 'Comments'. However I've noted this is missing from the profile menu. 

@woodbine, we will be looking at the buttons again once the re-theme settles down a little. It is still definitely on our list. 

@leeCal, unfortunately the old theme was no longer supported so we had no choice but to re-theme. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

• chiarieds
    One of the points Mike raises I also have. Apparently I've started 142 discussions; I've just checked, & it's 22.
    My main problem is simply looking at the site. Dark mode seemed OK on the whole, but, when you click off a post to go elsewhere, then as it's loading the contrast with having a very bright screen briefly I found to much. I've lowered the brightness on my screen to cope with the ordinary mode, but this is too dark for browsing on other sites, which is a nuisance.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Member Posts: 1,969 Pioneering
    I agree with the very bright loading screen, hurts your eyes when you've been looking at a screen with dark mode. I did lower  the brightness but still hurts, also then have to change it for other sights. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.