How much council tax should I be paying? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

How much council tax should I be paying?

So I am a litle confused about how much council tax I should be paying for now and future reference, and the answers online are confusing as they do not give much information.

I am single male 32, on UC LCWRA, and get PIP higher rate daily living and lower rate mobility. I live alone in a 2-bedroom terraced house and get £468.69 in UC housing element.

My council tax is Band A £1419.67 and I get 25% sole occupier discount.

Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,684 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    All local councils have their own rules so no one can answer that question.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Member Posts: 1,984 Pioneering
    As long as you ensure the local authority have all the information they require you should in theory be given a correct council tax bill. 

If you need to query this, you will need to look at your own local authorities rules and see that they have all been applied. 
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,795 Disability Gamechanger
    1 - you are on UC so should have maximum entitlement to CTR. However, CTR is a local scheme so “maximum” in your area won’t be the same as maximum in my area. It almost certainly won’t be 100% of your CT.

2 - the next issue will be your 2nd bedroom. If you’re the tenant of a registered social landlord then you have presumably been hit by the Bedroom Tax? That can be wholly mitigated by regular applications for discretionary housing payments (a DHP) to your local authority.

3 - a number of people on UC simply don’t realise they need to claim CTR separately from their local authority. If you’ve not done this, and nothing in your post suggests you have, then this is your next step.

• poppy123456
     CTR is a local scheme so “maximum” in your area won’t be the same as maximum in my area. It almost certainly won’t be 100% of your CT.

Mine is and has been since the start of the pandemic. Before that i used to pay about £9 per month.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,336 Disability Gamechanger
     CTR is a local scheme so “maximum” in your area won’t be the same as maximum in my area. It almost certainly won’t be 100% of your CT.
    Mine is and has been since the start of the pandemic. Before that i used to pay about £9 per month.
    I think extra money was provided by government to further reduce bills for those on CTR by up to £150/annum as part of the pandemic response. You should probably expect to pay again next year.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    calcotti said:
    I think extra money was provided by government to further reduce bills for those on CTR by up to £150/annum as part of the pandemic response. You should probably expect to pay again next year.

Yes, that's exactly the reason for not paying anything.
  • mikehughescq
    I think we need to acknowledge that some people won’t pay CT because of the £150 but that is/was a temporary thing. Some people won’t pay CT because their discounts wipe out the bill. However, I was talking about CTR alone and to the best of ,y knowledge almost no local schemes will pay up to 100%. 

In this instance I’m more concerned the OP may not have even claimed CTR or a DHP.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,619 Disability Gamechanger
    Our local council gives 90% CTR less than 2 miles down the road and they only give 25%, which is a huge difference, I get the idea that they wanted everybody to make some contribution to their CT but it should be the same nationwide.
    I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,336 Disability Gamechanger
    mikehughescq said: However, I was talking about CTR alone and to the best of my knowledge almost no local schemes will pay up to 100%. 
    Although some still do I agree that they are now a rare breed.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mikehughescq
    18/19 there were a mere 36 left who provided the same level of support as offered by CTB according to the Commons library. I’d imagine that, despite the pandemic, that would be broadly similar now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.