How much council tax should I be paying? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How much council tax should I be paying?

Options
JumpingJames
JumpingJames Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
So I am a litle confused about how much council tax I should be paying for now and future reference, and the answers online are confusing as they do not give much information.

I am single male 32, on UC LCWRA, and get PIP higher rate daily living and lower rate mobility. I live alone in a 2-bedroom terraced house and get £468.69 in UC housing element.

My council tax is Band A £1419.67 and I get 25% sole occupier discount.

Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    All local councils have their own rules so no one can answer that question.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    As long as you ensure the local authority have all the information they require you should in theory be given a correct council tax bill. 

If you need to query this, you will need to look at your own local authorities rules and see that they have all been applied. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
     CTR is a local scheme so “maximum” in your area won’t be the same as maximum in my area. It almost certainly won’t be 100% of your CT.

Mine is and has been since the start of the pandemic. Before that i used to pay about £9 per month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
     CTR is a local scheme so “maximum” in your area won’t be the same as maximum in my area. It almost certainly won’t be 100% of your CT.
    Mine is and has been since the start of the pandemic. Before that i used to pay about £9 per month.
    I think extra money was provided by government to further reduce bills for those on CTR by up to £150/annum as part of the pandemic response. You should probably expect to pay again next year.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    I think extra money was provided by government to further reduce bills for those on CTR by up to £150/annum as part of the pandemic response. You should probably expect to pay again next year.

Yes, that's exactly the reason for not paying anything.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,629 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Our local council gives 90% CTR less than 2 miles down the road and they only give 25%, which is a huge difference, I get the idea that they wanted everybody to make some contribution to their CT but it should be the same nationwide.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Username_removed said: However, I was talking about CTR alone and to the best of my knowledge almost no local schemes will pay up to 100%. 
    Although some still do I agree that they are now a rare breed.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.