Do I need to do ESA50 if I've already done UC50 and am LCWRA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I need to do ESA50 if I've already done UC50 and am LCWRA?

Options
buildupbuttercup
buildupbuttercup Community member Posts: 25 Connected
Do I need to do ESA50 if I've already done UC50 and was categories as being LCWRA?

Also, when I made my claim on gov website it asked when I wanted to make my claim from so I just put tomorrow's date because I didn't understand the question. I have just read that you should put the date you started having low capability for work and that was about a year ago. How do I change this, is it necessary to change it?

Lastly, I just received a text from DWP saying someone will call me within however many weeks. Is it possible to be asked not to be called out of the blue as it makes me very anxious, but rather contacted by text or something, or to have a phone call scheduled?

Thanks

Comments

• buildupbuttercup
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Why are you claiming New Style ESA? You need to have worked and paid NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years to claim this.
    Do you still claim Universal Credit? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Be aware that claiming ns-ESA will not increase your income because the ESA will be deducted from your UC. Nonetheless if you qualify for ESA then it is generally sensible to claim it as protection against changes of circumstance that could result in loss of UC.

Given that-you have already been found to have a LCWRA I would not expect you to be sent an ESA50, the existing decision should be used.

As regards the start date, ESA can only be backdated a maximum of three months. If you have been getting UC throughout that period there is unlikely to be any benefit to backdating the ESA (unless your UC is less than £114.10/week = 494.93/month).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • buildupbuttercup
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Be aware that claiming ns-ESA will not increase your income because the ESA will be deducted from your UC. Nonetheless if you qualify for ESA then it is generally sensible to claim it as protection against changes of circumstance that could result in loss of UC.

Given that-you have already been found to have a LCWRA I would not expect you to be sent an ESA50, the existing decision should be used.

As regards the start date, ESA can only be backdated a maximum of three months. If you have been getting UC throughout that period there is unlikely to be any benefit to backdating the ESA (unless your UC is less than £114.10/week = 494.93/month).
    Okay I didn't know this and am looking into ESA as means to raise my income as I struggle a lot. Does the maximum of 114.10 a week include disability premiums or could that figure be raised further by premiums? Thank you
  • buildupbuttercup
    Options
    Why are you claiming New Style ESA? You need to have worked and paid NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years to claim this.
    Do you still claim Universal Credit? 
    I worked for about 6 months in 2019. I claim universal credit currently yes, LCWRA. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You can't claim the disablity premiums on New style ESA because it's a contributions based benefit only. The disability premiums are only available on the old benefits and you can't claim those because you already claim UC. To be honest, LCWRA for UC actually pays more than ESA Support Group.
    If you only worked for 6 months in 2019 then you won't be able to claim it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • buildupbuttercup
    Options
    You can't claim the disablity premiums on New style ESA because it's a contributions based benefit only. The disability premiums are only available on the old benefits and you can't claim those because you already claim UC. To be honest, LCWRA for UC actually pays more than ESA Support Group.
    If you only worked for 6 months in 2019 then you won't be able to claim it.
    Thank you for clearing that up I was worrying about the application process but the more I find out about ESA the less worth it it seems. I will stick with UC.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If eligible it is worth claiming it because it's not means tested like UC is but as advised, you haven't worked enough in tax years 2018 to 2020 to be able to claim it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.