Hi, my name is Becca27! In the process of applying for a EHCP for my son — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, my name is Becca27! In the process of applying for a EHCP for my son

Becca27
Becca27 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 19 in Education
Hi everyone 
I’m in the process of applying for a ehcp for my 10 year old son , just waiting for a meeting with his school to see what support they are going to put in place as he is struggling to attend , Cahms suggested I applied for the ehcp myself, as I have never written one before I will be looking for advice.
kind regards 
Becca27
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,725 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,
    You don't write the EHCP yourself, your local Authority does this and this a process you need to go through before it can be done and the first step is the assessment. There's some information here.
    https://www.gov.uk/children-with-special-educational-needs/extra-SEN-help
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,416

Scope community team

Hello @Becca27

Wishing you a warm welcome to the community, it's lovely to see you join us. 

This must be a very important time for you and your son, and of course it's important to get him the support he needs in education. You might want to contact IPSEA, who would be able to offer professional advice in this sort of area. For example, they have this page about EHCPs.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 567 Pioneering
    Hi @Becca27

Thanks for reaching out to us. Applying for education, health and care plans can be a really lengthy process. Schools used to do this for families but as you are aware families are increasingly being expected to apply to their local authority for education, health and care plans assessments. I find the Guide Dogs website really helpful and it is a resource I often recommend regardless of the child's SEND because it is really comprehensive. If you are interested, you can access it at https://www.guidedogs.org.uk/getting-support/information-and-advice/education-support/your-childs-education-health-and-care-plan/. There is also a sub-section about social, emotional and mental health (SEMH) difficulties which may be particularly relevant for you if your son's difficulties are related to his mental health difficulties. Additionally, I agree with @Ross_Scope about remembering that IPSEA is there for you if you need more personal support throughout the process. Keep fighting for your son's needs to be addressed. I hope this helps but if you have any additional questions or anything else we can support you with then please don't hesitate to reach out to us again soon  :)
    I am a Scope volunteer. I have knowledge about the following subjects, gained through professional settings such as high level education or employment: autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia, down's syndrome, social, emotional and mental health difficulties, assistive technology and education. Pronouns: She/her.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.