Type of sub-condition — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Type of sub-condition

Alex2021 Community member, CP Network Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2021 in Cerebral palsy
I hope it’s ok to ask this, but I’m interested in the type of sub-condition you have, in regards to cerebral palsy, and how it effects you on a daily basis.

I have 

Spastic diplegia

And it effects me, moving around and I have limited energy at times, so it might take me longer to complete tasks and/or move around.


  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing @Alex2021, hopefully others will feel comfortable enough to join in and share :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • colet
    colet CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 100 Pioneering
    I have adthoid cp and I  have a feeding tube that goes straight into my stomach because I eat like a 4 year old 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 15,864 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Alex2021 -  any question is OK, so please don't worry. I'm not sure I'd define it as a 'sub-condition,' rather that Cerebral Palsy can manifest in different ways, but I see where you're coming from. It can affect different limbs, as in your case the legs, just one side of your body, or all 4 limbs, & can also be athetoid as mentioned above, where instead of spasticity, there can be difficulty with involuntary movements; difficulties with speech, etc.
    As with many conditions, everyone will be affected differently. You might be interested in looking at Scope's info on CP, & there's certainly a correlation in that having CP may mean you're potentially using so much energy that moving around may be many times harder than someone without CP. Please see:  https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/cerebral-palsy/
    I'll also ask our CP Specialist info Officer @Richard_Scope to chat with you, as he will have better insight.

  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,614 Scope online community team
    Hi @Alex2021
    Your cerebral palsy type is- spastic (Latin term, spasticus meaning drawing, pulling, stretching)
    Diplegia or Bilateral (modern term) explains the number of affected limbs. In your case, two.

    I have spastic, quadriplegia. Meaning I have spasticity in all four limbs.

    In terms of energy levels, it is widely accepted that people living with CP can use up to 3 times more energy than non-CP people, just completing daily tasks. There is some information that I prepared about Fatigue and CP and how to manage it.
    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.