Hi, my name is Holly12345! — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, my name is Holly12345!

Holly12345 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I’m not well and have no income (I’m living off my savings) so need to apply for PIP. I can’t fill in the form (my head doesn’t function properly) I’m on my own. I rang up PIP and they send I don’t need to fill in a form and that an assessor will ring me. No one has rung yet. I think it’s been a month.  I’m living off my savings. What do I do? I’ve spent hours on the phone and no one answers. What is the correct number. I need help.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,573 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    I wouldn't advise ringing DWP for benefits advice because it's not their job to do this. If you want to ring DWP regarding your PIP claim then the number to ring is 0800 121 4433 they are open 9am to 5om Monday to Friday and the best time to ring is as soon as they open but even then you could be on hold for anything up to an hour.
    An assessment will most likely be needed for your PIP claim and waiting times for these are quite long. Some people are waiting several months for an appointment so it's not a quick claim unfortuntately.
    If you have a vulnerability marker on your file then filling out the form isn't vital but it's advised that you at least try to fill it out because this way they will have some information about how your conditions affect you.
    With regards to being entitled to any other benefits then it depends on your circumstances. You can use a benefits calcluator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. It's a means tested benefit so if you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming. If you have savings of between £6,000 and £16,000 there will be a deduction of £4.35 for every £250 or part there of over that amount.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=8b7b6581-3f9f-42df-a12a-74a1c22841ed If you claim UC then you'll need to report your health condition and send in fit notes from your GP.
    Have you worked at all in the previous 2 tax years? If you have and you've paid the correct amount of NI contributions then you can claim New style ESA. If you claim both of these together then the ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    It does sound like you could use some expert help and advice with a full benefits check so i'd advice you to contact an advice agency near you and ask them for a benefits check. Use this link for that. Put your postcode in and choose the topic "welfare benefits" and it will tell you what's local to you for further advice. https://advicelocal.uk/


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.