Newly Disabled — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Newly Disabled

Options
KatB79
KatB79 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
Hi

I'm only 18 months disabled since getting covid in March 2020. I use a wheelchair outside and my husband is my carer.

Hoping to find answers here as I'm moving from 'this will only last another 6 mnths' to 'oh..well, we better look at more long term stuff'

I have three little dogs, two young adult 'kids' and absolutely no life anymore. I'm very familiar with my bedroom these days and very glad we managed to finish decorating it before I got sick ?

Sorry in advance for any stupid questions ?
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,718 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @KatB79 good evening and a warm welcome to scope, it's great that you've found us, on this forum there are no such thing as "stupid questions" you'll find us a friendly bunch so ask away.
    I know from experience that coming to terms with being disabled isn't easy.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• KatB79
    Options
    Thanks both. It's been a rough ride. I had some great help from iTalk that got me through a lot of the feelings of loss and anger, although I do still feel angry sometimes.

Wish they did a 'welcome to being disabled' handbook with hints, tips and everything you might be entitled to lol We didn't know I could claim PIP and LCWRA (universal credit) at the same time until earlier this year ? but it's not like the DWP offer up that info is it?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community from me too 

I agree it is a hard position to be in dealing with becoming disabled and at the same time trying to understand the benefits and support available if you can get it

Too many things people don't realise may have to change eg housing , looking after home and children , isolation , losing friends and independence,  losing ability to work 

The list goes on 
  • Ivypots
    Ivypots Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    The Citizen's advice are really good at letting you know all your options, you can even ask them about grants and one off funding help for things like equipment or furniture should you need it. Every area is different but it's amazing what people don't realise is out there! 

• KatB79
    Options
    Thanks! I'll get someone to ring them for me ?

I've been referred for something called the DFG? To do with adaptations so hopefully that will be really helpful.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can read some information about the Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) here (Scope) @KatB79 :) 

I'm sure it must be difficult adapting to a new way of living. If you have any questions, or just need someone to vent to or chat with, please feel free to post or comment at any time.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.