Should I register blind? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Should I register blind?

Poorly
Poorly Member Posts: 17 Listener
edited October 29 in Sensory impairments
I am currently waiting for PIP and severe disability payments to be re-instated and am on ESA, not on UC. I am sight impaired and not permitted to drive. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to registering blind?

Comments

• mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,817 Disability Gamechanger
    No disadvantages I’m aware of. Occasionally a fight with an ophthalmologist who takes the wrong-headed view that registration is the thing you do as compensation for when you’ve run out of treatment options. 
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,453

Scope community team

Glad I've been able to avoid those fights so far @mikehughescq, oh dear. 

Hi @Poorly, I would recommend getting your sight loss registered with your local authority, not least because it can entitle you to certain kinds of support.

It can take a while from starting the registration process to becoming registered, but that will vary depending on each local authority and may be quicker in your case. Either way, I woudln't see the waiting time as a reason not to do it.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • mikehughescq
    There was an RNIB report on it a few years back @Ross_Scope. Lots of ophthalmologists still take the view although some good work had been done to try and move things on. 

I think one of the things with registration is that it doesn’t get you much more than getting DLA, PIP or AA gets you but it’s a useful backup if anything goes wrong with those, as it does from time to time. It’s also an incredibly useful means of ensuring you get taken seriously when your VI isn’t obvious as most aren’t. Big delays at the moment in some places whether at the NHS/CVI end or the LA end but as you say I wouldn’t let that put anyone off.
  • Smitch
    Smitch Member Posts: 1 Listener

Registering as visually impaired isn't compulsory, but it can entitle you to a range of benefits, including:

• mikehughescq
    Registering at any level of sight-impairment will never ever entitle you to any social security benefit. Only registering as severely sight-impaired would entitle you to some of the rest.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.