Should I register blind? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I register blind?

Options
Poorly
Poorly Community member Posts: 17 Listener
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments
I am currently waiting for PIP and severe disability payments to be re-instated and am on ESA, not on UC. I am sight impaired and not permitted to drive. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to registering blind?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,988 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad I've been able to avoid those fights so far @mikehughescq, oh dear. 

Hi @Poorly, I would recommend getting your sight loss registered with your local authority, not least because it can entitle you to certain kinds of support.

It can take a while from starting the registration process to becoming registered, but that will vary depending on each local authority and may be quicker in your case. Either way, I woudln't see the waiting time as a reason not to do it.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Smitch
    Smitch Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options

Registering as visually impaired isn't compulsory, but it can entitle you to a range of benefits, including:

• Caz1984
    Caz1984 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Getting registered 
    sight impaired (partially sighted or severely sight impaired (blind)  is your choice. It  can be helpful in some cases especially when we are  trying to claim benefits like DLA pip ESA 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think the most helpful aspect of it is the peace of mind it brings, rather than whether it would actually carry any weight with the DWP or other organisations compared to not having one.

For me personally, providing a copy of my CVI or a scan of my registration card in certain situations makes me feel a whole lot more relaxed about the process, even if it isn't required. For example, in the past with things like concerts, I've provided a scan of my registration card despite being told it wasn't necessary, again I just think it goes back to that peace of mind element and wanting to feel safe in the knowledge that you've done as much as you can.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness