on the search for new music — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

on the search for new music

tazzy_956
tazzy_956 Member Posts: 15 Listener
Hi everyone, 
I want to try new music out and nothing is really off the table, yay :) 
A bit of history about me is that I never really grew up listening to music. I come from a very religious family and let just say I wasn't encouraged to listen to music (at all!) and I really don't know much about music. I always felt left out growing up as some kids could bond and talk in normal conversations whereas I couldn't, and at times I was labeled the weird kid for not being into the stuff that other kids were into. So this is me almost 10 years later venturing out of my comfort zone and giving music a try. 
What would you guys recommend? 

Comments

• mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,797 Disability Gamechanger
    I think the key question is what do you intend to listen ti music on? A personal device of some sort or a hi-fi? What’s your preferred format? CD, cassette, vinyl, downloads, streams? 
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,416

Scope community team

Hi @tazzy_956

Thanks for your post, it's great to see you're interested in getting into music.

Do you use any streaming platforms? It might be worth taking a few genre and finding playlists relating to that genre, to see if any of the music catches your ear. You could use YouTube which is a decent free option.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • tazzy_956
    Thanks, could you give me any examples of any streaming platforms, atm I don't any or know any that I am aware of. Atm, I'm on 'the musical universe' to find out what my music taste and personality are, which will help put more direction in my search for music that I like. So far, so good :) 
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,416

Scope community team

@tazzy_956

Some streaming platforms include:
    • Spotify
    • YouTube Music
    • Amazon Music
    • Apple Music
    There are many others though. Some of those have free memberships but with limitations, however all have a paid subscription service too. You might be able to get a free trial for quite a long period of time though, so definitely worth checking out.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • tazzy_956
    Yeah, I've heard of them. 
  • tazzy_956
    edited October 31
    @mikehughescq it doesn't really bother me at all tbh. I didn't even know you could still get music on cassettes, I thought it was an outdated thing but hey you learn something new every day. Lol, I feel like an old dinosaur. I like Spotify and I'll explore the music streaming websites that @Ross_Scope recommended, maybe they can give better-personalized recommendations and I can find stuff that I like.
  • mikehughescq
    I think lots of people recommend Spotify. It is fairly comprehensive although when people tell you such things have “all music” that’s patently nonsense. However, the free tier of Spotify has some big disadvantages. 

1 - it’s uses a heavily compressed stream and the music is less than CD quality. This means that music lacks dynamics i.e. the quiet bits become as loud as the loud bits and music sounds unnatural. This matters a lot for music which has huge dynamics such as classical music, jazz, folk, 6os soul music and even rock music. This can be very tiring to listen to and you’ll find that it encourages you to have music as a background thing rather than a foreground thing where you’re actually listening in a focused way and learning what you like. Add in the frequent adverts as the cost of using the free tier and you have a fairly intrusive experience. 

2 - Spotifys scheme for paying musicians to use their platform is effectively slave labour and should, in my view, not be encouraged. Indeed Parliament and the EU have both being looking at the ethics of it. 

3 - Spotify is increasingly focused on podcasts and that adds a layer of distraction when you’re trying to search for just music. A lot of their playlist and recommendations  are also driven by algorithms rather than people and it shows. Trying to range far and wide to find what you like becomes increasingly difficult as they almost inevitably base their recommendations on what you’ve listened to and just serve up more of the same only slightly duller. 

YouTube has similar issues and to be honest if you want to listen to music then the visuals can be a distraction. Amazon and Apple perhaps less so but then they’re still building their catalogues. Both Amazon and Apple have CD quality offerings and getting a device on which you can clearly hear the difference will make your listening  experience much better. 

Assuming you have a smartphone I would consider spending on a dongle DAC, of which there are many excellent options right now, and a good quality pair of headphones to replace whatever came with the phone. You will be astonished at the difference the DAC will make alone even it means carrying around another cable. 

I would then get trials with Qobuz (one month) or Tidal (usually three months). The Qobuz app is rubbish. The Tidal app is not bad. 
  • mikehughescq
    Additional to the above I would be happy to recommend 10 very diverse albums to go find if you’d like.
  • tazzy_956
    Sure, go ahead :) 
  • mikehughescq
    Okay, nothing definitive or best here. Just stuff which will take you off in different directions. 

Nic Jones - Penguin Eggs. Many aspects of folk music.
    The Velvet Underground And Nico. Modern rock music starts here.
    Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express. Modern electronic music starts here.
    Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde. Folk, pop, rock. Lyrics that you could lose a lifetime to. 
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. Modal jazz. Most peoples way in to jazz.
    Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets The Rockers Uptown - The inventor of dub.
    Joni Mitchell - Blue. An easy way in to an artist who covered folk, jazz and rock.
    Youssou N’Dour - Rokka Mi Rokka. A great way into the badly titled world music. 
    The Wailers - Catch A Fire. Reggae before they become massive.
    Run DMC - Run DMC. A catchy way into rap.

Save classical, soul, country and more for another day. This should be varied enough to get a feel for some of what you do and don’t like.

• csno01
    csno01 Member Posts: 253 Pioneering
    Hi and welcome. 
    First things first is to decide what device or streaming app you are going to be listening on. Apps iclude: Spotify and Apple Music just to name a couple. 
    Music is about self expression. To give you some ideas, I like indie rock / Britpop music. Artists in these genres include: Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene. Some other more heavier bands include: Nirvana, Soundgarden and Foo Fighters. Once you have identified your device and genre, it is just a case of exploring and finding out what you like. 
    For me, I am trying to find a new artist but find myself reverting back to my favourites as per the ones above. 

Happy listening and good luck. 
    CSno01
  • tazzy_956
    @csno01 @mikehughescq
    Thanks for the recommendations, I want to get a radio and listen to some music on there as I love to find music randomly that makes my life seem more like a movie/musical lol, any good music stations you would recommend? That reminds me, you can get music Tv channels, my sister would go on all the time when she was younger, I could check those out too. 
    Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

• csno01
    csno01 Member Posts: 253 Pioneering
    Some of my favourite stations are:
    Absolute radio, BBC6 music, and planet Rock. You can also search for radio stations by region. I hope this helps.
  • mikehughescq
    In terms of music discovery nowadays you’re arguably better off with streaming than radio. However, nowadays you can get both on the one device. That could be a smartphone, a tablet or a specific device like a streamer or wireless speaker. With the better devices you can stream at home but also download so you can take stuff out of the house with you. 

Radio stations are now so paranoid and curated there’s nothing really surprising. You used to get a station where maybe one or two programmes were a law unto themselves and all the more wonderful for it. Nowadays if you like one programme on a station you’ll tend to find you like most of the rest. Nothing wrong with that but it gets boring very quickly and if you really don’t know what you’ll like then it’s not the best way to discover stuff. 
  • tazzy_956
    It's fine, I love listening to the radio in the car, plus, it's an easy way to multitask when doing other things but each to their own. Still appreciate the comment <3 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.