Supermarket deliveries — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Supermarket deliveries

Options
TheAlien
TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
Has anyone had any issues with the way you were treated when their shopping arrived?

My delivery drivers are usually quite good, but today I got one who, first of all knocked on the wrong door, then proceeded to thrust my shopping at me instead of asking how, or even if, I needed help.  To make the experience even worse, she was using both hands to shove things at me when she could clearly see that I was using one crutch, while leaning against the wall to avoid falling over.  Usually I ask for the crate to be lifted so I can retrieve my items, but she didn't even give me the chance!  All of this was on the doorstep.

Then to add further insult to the matter she slammed my front door when she left which was effectively in my face!

I have put a complaint in, but don't expect anything to be done about it, even though she clearly needs disability awareness training.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hu there 

I don't have any issue mine always help even empty crates for me 

I would hope they will take your complaint seriously 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,670 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have had to be honest no issues with supermarket deliveries, perhaps this was a one off @TheAlien and she was just having a bad day?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• TheAlien
    Options
    I would like to think that @woodbine, but she had a young trainee with her and I think she was trying to show off.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Since you have complained, I don’t think there is much else you can do, you only had two options at the time, they were to accept the delivery or refuse it. 

As you accepted the delivery, than yes you should have received help if you asked for it, however if you didn’t get this help and the behaviour of the driver was unacceptable than all you can do is let the company know via a complaint. 

This is what you have done, which is great. 

Hopefully this will be acknowledged and the driver will be reminded of their responsibilities and to help customers where they can, from my experience of working at management level in a supermarket, unless this colleague has had other complaints, warnings or reprimands, all that will happen is a verbal warning. 

It’s now up to you to choose whether you continue with this supermarket or use another one. 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,018 Pioneering
    Options
    @TheAlien have you added any special instructions to your order when you order online? I'm not sure who you use but my supermarket gives an area where you can add special instructions when you are ordering online. I ask for the drivers to wear a mask and tell them exactly where to put the box down so I can transfer from the crate to my own bags. 

• TheAlien
    Options
    I do, but its limited characters, so all I have the space to write is to allow me time to get to the door.  I've had drivers just drive off because they almost expect me to be sat on the doorstep waiting for them.

If she'd just held the crates, or even asked me if or what help I needed it would have been OK, but this was just another case of an able bodied person deciding what help was best for me without any consultation.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,670 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Could you request that the driver in future sends you a text 10 minutes before they expect to arrive?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.