Housing benefit — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Housing benefit

darrel22 Member Posts: 4 Listener
I claim income support and cares  allowance and get full housing benefit , My daughter who is 18 and is  finishing college in 5 months time is going to do an apprenticeship, Does anyone know if my Daughter does an apprenticeship will i still get my full housing benefit.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,650 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2
    In a previous thread you said you claimed PIP, do you still claim this?  if so and it includes the daily living part then there will be no non dependent deductions in your housing benefit. You will still need to report the changes to your local Authority.
    You also asked about claiming Severe Disability premium in that same thread... here.. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/83150/extra-severe-disability-premium#latest If you currently claim the SDP then once your daughter leaves full time education you will lose the SDP, unless your daughter also claims a qualifying disability premium such as PIP daily or DLA mid/high rate care, or she's registered blind. You will need to report the changes to DWP/ESA.

  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,321 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 3
    I am not clear what benefits you are getting which makes it difficult to clarify your entitlement.

    In this thread you said you get Carer’s Allowance, Income Support and Housing Benefit,

    In your other thread you said that you get ESA and PIP and have recently moved to live with your mother in a house she rents. If you are not the tenant you will not be entitled to Housing Benefit. You said your mothers gets her State Pension, Pension Credit and PIP. You also said that nobody claims Carer’s Allowance for looking after you or your mother.

    Can you clarify which benefits you actually get. If you are getting Carer’s Allowance, confirm who you are looking after to receive it.

    Does anybody else live in the house besides your mother, yourself and your 18 year old daughter?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,377

    Scope community team

    Hi @darrel22

    Thank you for your question, I hope the above replies have been helpful. I hope your daughter's apprenticeship goes well, it must be exciting for her.
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.