Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

My sister needs to move into sheltered housing or a care home. I don't know where to start

janelarden Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I’m looking for some Help for my sister who has cerabal palsy and needs to move out of her house into sheltered housing or a care home.  She is very independent but is struggling with mental health and loneliness now. She can walk using her frame outside but struggles with speech. She currently lives in a council house and has caters come on for an hour a day but now she has turned 67 she is asking for more help. I don’t know where to start to look fir help and I live on France. My other sister is suffering with depression too so I can’t get her involved. Any help or advice would be great. 


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

    The first step would be to refer her for a care needs assessment through the gov website 

    She will then be assessed by ot and signposted to the care she needs
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,506 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @janelarden :) 

    As janer1967 has said, a good place to start would be for your sister to get a needs assessment from her local council. You can apply for a needs assessment by putting her postcode into this page, and then following the instructions from her local authority. How does that sound?

    I'm sorry to hear that both of your sisters are struggling with depression at the moment. Are they receiving enough support for their mental health? 

    Additionally, if your sister with CP is feeling lonely, she'd be more than welcome to join the community. We have plenty of CP-ers here, and Scope and CP Sport run a regular online CP Cafe that she might be interested in joining. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

    Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,191 Disability Gamechanger
    If the care she currently has was arranged by her local authority then she should speak to them and they will hopefully be able to help her.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.