Odd PIP Amount — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Odd PIP Amount

OverlyAnxious
OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
Hi,

Forum regulars will know I'm waiting for a PIP review outcome, forms posted in August...

Today is my normal PIP payment date, but I've been paid a weird amount.  It's less than I'd usually get, but more than if I'd been downgraded to standard rate.

Is it possible they downgraded during the payment period?  Or is there something else going on?

I can't use phones so have no way to ask anyone at PIP.  Will just have to wait for a letter if no one here knows what's happening.

Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    We can only guess but it could be a lower award or higher.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    It sounds like you have got a lower award but maybe not for the whole months 

Try different combination of the weekly amounts to see if it makes sense 

Eg do 2 weeks at enhanced 2 weeks at standard,  try all possibilities 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Just got the letter.  It's been stopped altogether.  

Says they didn't receive it in time...but we all know there are backlogs. 

I'm up the creek now because I'll lose the 1bed rate of HB & SDP as well.  I can't deal with phones/people at all now so if they won't speak to a relative that'll be the end of that. 

• poppy123456
    Have you got proof of posting? We've had members post here saying their's have also stopped for this reason. I remember one person very recently but they posted back saying it was reinstated when they received the form.
    I really don't understand why they're not extending the time to return the forms, especially when they know the postal backlogs are huge.
    My advice is to request the MR ASAP through letter stating you did return the form. Did you keep a copy of the form before returning it? If so, then send another copy with the MR letter.
    Your ESA may now also be late being paid because of the SDP. Please also check your housing benefit hasn't stopped because it has been known for this to happen when a PIP award has ended.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck @OverlyAnxious

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Barukh
    Barukh Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Here is where you can access help from different places for Benefit/PIP problems.

I am sure you will get support to help you with this. It is a common problem you are having.

Here is the link to the Citizens Advice website with all the Organisations that can help you.

https://www.mind.org.uk/news-campaigns/campaigns/benefits/where-you-can-find-help/

Hope it is sorted for you soon.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear that don't leave it at that do as poppy says 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Thanks everyone.  They did speak to my relative without me present.

It's an error, they have received my forms and say it shouldn't have been stopped.  It should now be reinstated, but sounds like they haven't made the new decision yet.

I didn't get proof of posting as I can't get to the post office.  Just had to put it in the nearest post box, though I did take a timestamped photo of me doing that.  Also didn't copy it this time as I typed up the main parts...though in future I think I will copy everything after this, just in case!  As you say, the worry now is the SDP & housing benefit...on top of worrying about the review outcome.

• poppy123456
    Glad to hear that a relative was able to ring on your behalf and it was an error. If the worst happens and your SDP does stop (which it may) then can you ask the relative to ring ESA for you? 
    I have read in other comments that your conditions have got worse and I’m sorry to read this.
    Good luck with the review and if you need further advice I’m sure someone will help you further. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Yep, odd amount on the ESA today so looks like SDP has stopped.  

I could ask the relative to ring but they've already had to ring Doctors and letting agents on my behalf, do my shopping and pick up prescriptions, as well as their own full time job and care responsibilities for another relative.  I really don't want to burden them any more than necessary.  I may just wait and see if the review comes in the next couple of weeks to save potentially having to go through it twice.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sure they don't see you as a burden @OverlyAnxious, but it's up to you :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.