Child transferring from DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Child transferring from DLA to PIP

Fonty05
Fonty05 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I'm new here
I am really struggling with PIP form for my child who is transferring from DLA to PIP... autism and adhd, also has motor skill issues with hands, as well as a night disorder that needs monitoring (which i can see isn't on the PIP forms). I'm trying hard to get them right. I'm so worried about it all I can't sleep. I've read stories of so many being turned down. How long does it take approximately once the forms are returned? Thankyou 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    PIP and DLA are 2 completely different benefits with totally different criteria. PIP has nothing to do with night time care like DLA did.
    For PIP it’s how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors for at least 50% of the time over a 12 month period.
    When filling out the form you should put a couple a real world examples of what happened the last time they attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to them. Include information such as where they were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were. You should aim for at least 1 A4 side of paper per descriptor that applies. 
    Make sure you add name and NI number to everything you send and always send copies not originals, keep a copy for yourself.
    Providing the forms are returned on time the DLA will continue until a decision is made on the PIP.
    You should expect either a telephone assessment or face to face assessment because most people have them. 
    Timescales from ringing to start a claim to having a decision is about 10 months but it will depend on backlog in your area.
    This may help https://pipinfo.net/
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Fonty05
    Hi 
    Thankyou for all the information. I have had a look at the descriptive and my child' does fit into most parts, he needs support every day in daily care needs and communication etc. I've included examples to explain what I mean and have given lots of information..... Someone told me can be as little as 2 weeks for a decision, is that not right.? I feel exhausted from worry about it, as I've read so many get turned down despite the daily care thats needed.... feel a bit lost to be honest. I really appreciate you replying thankyou
  • poppy123456
    Fonty05 said:
    Someone told me can be as little as 2 weeks for a decision, is that not right.?

I would say it's very unlikely to be that quick, even under normal times it can take quite a few months.  As advised, most people have assessments by either telephone or face to face. The good news is, the DLA payment continues.
    Do be aware though that if he's awarded a higher award than DLA there will be no backdated money owed because the PIP starts about 4 weeks after the decision is made.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Fonty05
    Hi 
    Thankyou for the information. I just feel very lost with it all and worried. He's high rate care for DLA (and his trained therapy dog is funded by that which is a worry if he gets no award at all) but I am aware after reading alot of things that this could be unlikely with PIP. I've done an online thing where you answer the questions and ftom that he gets hrc too as the score is 22 but its how I interpret the questions could mean a completely different outcome to how they score it because of how I get across all his difficulties he has. Need to ring up for another form today as I've made so many mistakes ?
  • poppy123456
    It seems like you did the online PIP test, to be honest i don't rate that at all because it can be very misleading, especially if you don't fully understand the PIP descriptors and what they mean. People often over score and under score theirself.
    There may not be enough of time for them to send you another PIP form, so you may just have to continue with the one you have. It would be better if you could write the answers to the questions on sheets of paper before writing on the form.
  • Fonty05
    Yep... ? my return date is 27th November so maybe time .. I will ring, my fault 
  • Fonty05
    Thankyou... I need to as the worry is affecting my health now and sleep 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Hi @Fonty05 and welcome, I've just moved this discussion into the 'PIP, DLA and AA' category so that it can be found more easily and get more relevant responses.

Usually the 'Start here and say hello' category is just for very quick hello's. As you can see the community is very knowledgeable and friendly so don't hesitate if you have any extra questions. Well done for sharing your worries, that's a really positive step and helps to start taking them away. 
    Alex  
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    Fonty05 said:
    Yep... ? my return date is 27th November so maybe time .. I will ring, my fault 

You can ask for an extension of time to return the forms. Do be aware though that postal backlogs are huge so it could take a few weeks, sometimes longer for them to receive the forms. Make sure you ask for proof of posting, free from any post office. Always keep copies of everything you send.

Filling out the forms is very daunting for everyone. Just do a little at a time and then put it away until the following a day. I always find it easier to type everything on my computer and then print it off once i know everything is correct.

They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence so you need to make sure all relevant evidence is included with your claim.
  • Fonty05
    Oh heck, so sorry! and thankyou for moving it ?
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Not to worry! It's easily done :) And you are very welcome @Fonty05
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.