Learning a Foreign Language in a classroom when you have dyslexia — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Learning a Foreign Language in a classroom when you have dyslexia

Options
Deem2021
Deem2021 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2021 in Education
I have dyspraxia and dyslexia and I find learning Spanish in a classroom never works for me.  I am just curious if anyone else has had negative or positive experiences of learning a foreign language in a classroom?  I found Spanish easier than learning Arabic but struggled in both. I hope this is a subject that is of interest to other people. I wonder how dyslexic people moving to England find learning English as well as how English speakers found learning other languages.

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think that's an interesting topic @Deem2021 :) I hope that someone with experience of learning a language when you have dyslexia will find your post soon!

Do you enjoy learning language? Have you ever tried a different way of learning languages outside of the classroom, such as by using an app? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Deem2021
    Deem2021 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you @Tori_scope, I am quite good at picking up words when I am in Spain.  I find the classroom harder.  I like to translate Spanish news stories too.  

My memory for English words is very unreliable, I get round this by learning lots of ways of saying the same thing.  I think it makes me good at communicating in a foreign country where you can be creative, but very slow in a formal classroom where you are learning certain words and ways of saying something.   
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Hi @Deem2021 and welcome! I don't have dyslexia but I love learning languages, mostly dead ones, but some living ones. I love the creativity of learning 'on the ground' too, it's so much more engaging than a formal classroom as you say.

From what I remember in school, I sometimes found the classroom atmosphere quite distracting, we had a lot of substitute teachers who couldn't handle my rowdy classmates. When tests came around, I remember feeling quite pressured to do well. I think the way languages are taught in school can be very formulaic. At university my experience was more positive, because I was directly applying my learning to other areas of study.

I do use Duolingo these days, I'm learning Greek and Welsh, but the lack of explanation on grammar is a bit frustrating. I have seen that you can look for in-person events to try out through the app, depending on how local they are to you of course. Might be worth a try?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.