Transferring from Disability Living Allowance to Personal Independence Payment — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Transferring from Disability Living Allowance to Personal Independence Payment

Jools42 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Jools 42
Hi Everyone,
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to transfer from Disability Living Allowance to Personal Independence Payment. ? I sent the claim off towards the end July 2021it has almost been 16 weeks and I have not heard anything.
My son is 16 years old and he will be 17 during May 2022.
At the moment he still gets paid under Disability Living Allowance but I am frightened if they do not contact me he may loose his benefit.
I searched under Google how long does it take to be transferred from DLA to PIP it said it would take 22 weeks is this true or not.?
I have been given various phone numbers unfortunately it was a recorded voice saying not to worry, the Coronavirus has caused delays but not to get concerned because they will be in touch as soon as they can.
In addition I also requested no face to face meeting because it would cause overwhelming stress.  ? 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,533 Disability Gamechanger
    The estimated timescale from applying to having a decision is 10 months. If it's less than this for your son then he's lucky. Most people have assessments which are mostly done by telephone, though face to face assessments have started back for some people.
    The good thing is, that his DLA does continue until a decision's been made on the PIP.


Need to talk?

Over Christmas the online community might be a little quieter than usual, so if you need urgent emotional support or if you feel like you might be in crisis, please read up about how to stay safe for now and find help.

You can also speak to somebody in confidence by calling Samaritans on 116 123 for free or send an email to
[email protected]

Of course, if you feel like you might be at risk right now, please call 999 or visit your local hospital.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.