MR advice

mel221
mel221 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all,

I’m new to this forum and looking for some advice as I’m very stressed. I successfully claimed PIP after a tribunal in Sept 2020 for mental health. I was given a two year award from Oct 2019 which was due to end in Oct 2021, but was extended until Jan 2022. Since then, my condition has become a lot worse. I am currently on the maximum dose of sertraline (200 mg) and have G.P. appointments every two weeks. My G.P. is also deciding next steps, as I feel that CBT didn’t help me. I took time out of my studies and work in Sept 2021, and was also placed in LCWRA group for UC following a work capability assessment in Jan 2021, with a medium term review (18 months) recommended by the assessor. I included this report in my PIP evidence. 

I recently had an assessment and requested a copy of it shortly after, as I’ve read online that other claimants have done in the past to see if they’ll get an award. I was shocked as the assessor said to me, it all makes sense that I get an award to me but it’s not up to her, but try not to worry. I have heard of assessors saying things like this before and scoring clients 0 points. Her notes do include a lot of detail about my struggles, but she scored me 2 points only. Ever other answer apart from that was awarded 0 points, noting that because I have returned to my studies albeit with lots of support, I am capable of all activities. I am now mentally preparing for a MR. Does anyone have any advice? I would dread another appeal at tribunal and hope I can get my award back after a MR. 

Many thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,485 Championing
    Hi,
    The assessor shouldn't have said anything to you about an award because it's not their job to do that. They make recommendations only and nothing more. It makes me very angry when i hear others say the "assessor told them about an award."
    Only a decision maker can score points. They will look at everything you sent, including the report and make a decision from there. They do mostly go with the report but it has been know for them to go against it.
    Just so that you're aware, LCWRA is totally different to PIP and claiming it doens't automatically entitle someone to PIP.
    You will of course need to wait for the decision to made, once it has if you're not happy you can request the MR, as you've been there before you will likely know the process.
    May i ask when you filled out the forms for your PIP did you treat it as a new claim and put as much information about how your conditions affect you as possible?
    Did you include a couple of real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you? If you didn't then i'd advise you to do this for the MR. Include information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.
  • mel221
    mel221 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi,

Thank you for your advice, Poppy. Yes, I had help from Citizens Advice and filled in my claim with as much detail as possible. I haven’t done that no, I’ll give that a go on my MR.