Hi, my name is sprolliemum_1! — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, my name is sprolliemum_1!

Hi, I'm 54 and have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis. I live with my 23 year old daughter who has anxiety. We both work part time and are struggling to afford all the bills.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,720 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you rent or own your own home? do you currently claim any benefits? If you don't have you checked entitlement to Universal Credit? You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement for yourself. Or you can speak to any advice agency near you for a full benefits check. Benefit calculator here. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=9172af0f-7bb0-422b-8c8e-87c545bca027 If you claim tax credits then a claim for UC will end them.
    Your daughter can also check entitlement to benefits by using the calculator above. As she lives with you she will not be able to claim for any help with the rent.
    As you have a health condition do you claim PIP or DLA? If your health condition affects your daily life it maybe possible to claim PIP for yourself. See link. https://pipinfo.net/
    Your daughter can also have a look at the link above but as advised, whether she would be entitled to PIP will depend on how her conditions affect her.
    Start here for a full benefits check if you're unable to use the benefits calculator. https://advicelocal.uk/

  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 567 Pioneering
    Hello @sprolliemum_1

    Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. In addition to the wonderful advice already provided by @poppy123456, I am just wondering if you and your daughter have access to appropriate healthcare support or if this is something you feel you need support with? It sounds like times are tough for both of you but keep holding on in there  <3
    I am a Scope volunteer. I have knowledge about the following subjects, gained through professional settings such as high level education or employment: autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia, down's syndrome, social, emotional and mental health difficulties, assistive technology and education. Pronouns: She/her.
  • sprolliemum_1
    sprolliemum_1 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    @poppy123456 I have applied for pip twice,  the first time I didn't get any points and the second time I got two points for my incontinence. My daughter is named on our tenancy agreement so she gets Universal credit for her half of the rent. I applied for Universal credit but  I don't actually get any payments. 
  • sprolliemum_1
    sprolliemum_1 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    @L_Volunteer thankyou, my daughter has medication for her anxiety and has had counselling in the past. I have strong painkillers,  muscle relaxants and antidepressants,  but I've been given a record of improvement at work for my sickness. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,720 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you got some expert advice with the PIP claim to check that you actually qualify? PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. Start here for this. https://advicelocal.uk/
    Did you challenge those decisions with the Mandatory Reconsideration and then Tribunal? To constantly reapply using the same evidence you previously used will likely see a constant refusals.
    You can have a disability but not qualify for PIP because if you don't fit the descriptors you won't score the points for an award.
    If your health condition affects your ability to work and you work less than 16 hours per week then you can report your health condition onto your journal, send in fit notes from your GP to start the work capability assessment process off.
    Unfortunately, because you don't receive PIP, if you work 16 hours or more per week then you won't be able to be referred for the work capability assessment.
    Unfortunately, UC doesn't take into consideration the bills you're paying.
    The only other benefit is council tax reduction, which can be claimed from your local authority.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.