Disabled parking in Waltham Forest — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled parking in Waltham Forest

Options
chubbydaddy
chubbydaddy Community member Posts: 5 Connected
Hello, my name is Paul and I live in the London Borough of Waltham Forest.  If you live within this borough or another area and your parking is under attack by the council you should make your views known to the council. Recently along Leytonstone High road a stretch of parking (including a disabled bay, was given over to some planters. The council say its part of their strategy to encourage more sustainable methods of travel and less cars.  However many of us need our cars and we need to be able to park.  By removing disabled parking the council is making us compete with able bodied drivers for the limited parking that is left.  Also recently the number of blue badge holders was increased because many hidden disabilities were allowed to apply for a blue badge (quite rightly).  That does mean more disabled drivers competing for disabled parking bays and competing with able bodied drivers for the same.  Please please fight for our right to be mobile and to be able to park.  If councils are allowed to get away with this attack on our rights they will continue and remove even more.  Contact your council and complain and ask for more disabled bays not less.  Thank you for reading through my rant.

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this @chubbydaddy :) I'm sorry to hear about the removal of some disabled parking bays in your area, but it's good to hear that it's something you're passionate about preventing. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    please please note a parking bay marked disabled parking is there for anybody to use disabled or not we the disabled have no sole right to that space unless it has a sign stating Blue Badge holders only. The same if one is outside your home any driver can park there it’s only by other giving consideration to a disabled driver that they are not used by able bodied drivers. I was quoted £400 by my council to have an Road assessment and painting the parking bay outside my house, but I as advised it was not for my sole use but any driver can park their car there. So I declined the offer and bought some disability parking signs and fixed on the fence panels and to date I have retained a parking space outside my home.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.