I have a statement saying I'm not fit for work, but I have to meet with my work coach every 2 weeks — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have a statement saying I'm not fit for work, but I have to meet with my work coach every 2 weeks

Options
Kearny
Kearny Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all, i have a question regarding my situation. My statement of fitness for work states i'm not fit for work. My health condition keeps me mostly home or bed bound. I applied for UC 6 months ago. My work coach asking me to meet him every 2 weeks which is a big torcher for me as i'm unable to walk more than 50 meters. is that normal practice? How can i stop this hell?  

Comments

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 539 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Welcome to the comminity,

I'm in a similar situation as I'm waiting for a work capability assessment and until I have one have to goto the job centre every month to see my work coach even though I have been sending in fit notes for months. I asked if I had to go as I struggle to go out my room and can only go if someone goes with me, however they refused to stop the face to face appointments until I have my assessment.

I know your work coach can disable this commitment however mine refuses too, so until I have my assessment I have to keep visiting the job centre every month. Unfortunatly unless your work coach switches this commitment off theres nothing that can be done as if you don't go they can stop your payments.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Kearny said:
    Hi all, i have a question regarding my situation. My statement of fitness for work states i'm not fit for work. My health condition keeps me mostly home or bed bound. I applied for UC 6 months ago. My work coach asking me to meet him every 2 weeks which is a big torcher for me as i'm unable to walk more than 50 meters. is that normal practice? How can i stop this hell?  
    Until you have a Work capability Assessment decision you are treated asa JobSeeker. Your Work Coach has discretionary power to limit your commitments so you can ask them if they are willing to do this while you wait for the WCA decision. (I assume you have reported the health condition as part of your claim.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Kearny
    Kearny Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you, i still don't have my WCA decision (almost 5 months)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Most people have assessments for this, either by phone or face to face. There are huge backlogs so this is likely why you're still waiting. Once an appointment becomes available they will contact you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Martyandme999
    Martyandme999 Community member Posts: 19 Listener
    Options
    I would say it is a reasonable adjustment for your disability to ask for these meetings to take place on the phone - you can have a disability whether you are fit to work or not. Write this on your journal and if they still say no. Call Universal credit and ask to speak to your case manager. I am sorry your work coach is being inflexible...it is completely at their discretion. I was lucky as mine did not have a single meeting with me whilst I was waiting (I think he saw it as 'great - less work for me :p). 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.