Any advice for WCA by phone pls? Can someone talk on claimants behalf? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any advice for WCA by phone pls? Can someone talk on claimants behalf?

feeky1973
feeky1973 Community member Posts: 59 Connected
She has mental issues and doesn't talk to people well, usually just answers questions basically 'yes/no',  avoids conversations. Has OCD, communication and social anxiety and more..... I usually talk on her behalf/prompt her but will what I say count in someone else's WCA?   OR Would it be better for me not to talk on her behalf?

Also, her doctor has recently given her a paper copy of a letter to show people that phone conversations are an issue for her (communication anxiety) but the problem is the assessor wont have seen this. Would it be worth trying to get this to them some how? Is there anything we can do ?   It does state in the letter any new evidence can be discussed. But would discussing it at the appointment  be enough (proof)? 
Do assessors have live access to medical records to view the letter there? 

ANY advice tips on WCA via phone would be welcome please  :)

Comments

• feeky1973
     Thanks Username_removed said:

No reason at all why the letter from the GP cannot be sent across to the AP at this point. 

Whats the AP?  How/where would she send the letter?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,939 Disability Gamechanger
    feeky1973 said:
     Thanks Username_removed said:

No reason at all why the letter from the GP cannot be sent across to the AP at this point. 

Whats the AP?  How/where would she send the letter?

Ap = Assessment provider. You can find the assessment centre of your location here. https://www.chdauk.co.uk/find-your-assessment-centre or you can ring them to ask for the address.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • feeky1973
    About her inability /anxiety to communicate.  Could she make notes about her condition and read from them, if relevant questions come up?    Would it also be better to explain to the assessor that she is reading from notes?
  • poppy123456
    Some people find it helpful to write out notes before the assessment. There’s no harm in telling the AP that they’re reading from notes. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • feeky1973

Ap = Assessment provider. You can find the assessment centre of your location here. https://www.chdauk.co.uk/find-your-assessment-centre or you can ring them to ask for the address.

Do you think it'd be ok for me to call up on her behalf? Her anxiety is such a barrier to communicating. Wish we'd had this letter to explain about it at the time of the form :(  So hard to know if they'll except new evidence at this point and whether its worth the distress she'd have of trying to get it to them.  
  • poppy123456
    I see no reason why you can't ring to ask for the address to send more evidence. You don't have to give the person's name. The link  i posted above will tell you where the nearest assessment centre is to her.
    If the evidence is relevant then send it, otherwise don't. It's not like the evidence is going to DWP, which would take quite a while because of the postal delays.
  • feeky1973
    Thanks :smile:I looked on that link and theres a few centres in her area, hard to know which it'd be. Do you think it always the nearest by miles thats 'your centre' ?
  • poppy123456
    I have no idea on that. There's only one in my area. Does the evidence she has clearly state exactly how her conditions affect her? If it doesn't then she needs to decide whether it's worth sending it, especially if she's already sent similar evidence.
  • feeky1973
    Does anyone know if the phone assessments are ever recorded or is it only the face to face ones? 

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hi @feeky1973

That's a good question and I'm not too sure if the phone assessments are recorded. They might do for security and record keeping. Hopefully, some other members will comment on their own experiences and will be able to help :)
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • poppy123456
    I'm not aware of them recording the telephone assessments. My advice would be to concentrate on the assessment itself and answering the questions rather than anyu recording. A recording isn't going to get you placed into one of the groups. If the worst happens and they need to take it to Tribunal then you can't use the recording unless it's professionally transcribed and that costs.
  • feeky1973

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.