Cost of wheelchairs — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Cost of wheelchairs

Circe
Circe Member Posts: 61 Courageous
Hi Everyone, I have a question to ask you all - what do you consider a reasonable price for a self propelled wheelchair? I am still looking at what's out their but I don't know if the ones I like are the correct price or if its a rip off? what do you think the price range should be?
Many Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 241

Scope community team

Hi @Circe that's a good question, but a difficult one to answer I think as it depends on what different people call 'reasonable'. Prices range anywhere from £130-£600. What matters is that it's the right fit for you, and that may come at an extra cost, but ultimately it will make a huge difference as an investment in your independence. Sometimes paying more for the right sized or proportioned chair is worth it over one which causes problems down the line for you and your physical health.

I'd be happy to do some more research into this if you like, and I'm sure our members can share their thoughts in the meantime :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Circe
    Hi @Circe that's a good question, but a difficult one to answer I think as it depends on what different people call 'reasonable'. Prices range anywhere from £130-£600. What matters is that it's the right fit for you, and that may come at an extra cost, but ultimately it will make a huge difference as an investment in your independence. Sometimes paying more for the right sized or proportioned chair is worth it over one which causes problems down the line for you and your physical health.

I'd be happy to do some more research into this if you like, and I'm sure our members can share their thoughts in the meantime :) 
    Yes please, that would be good. I've been to one shop but wasn't given any prices and I'm hoping to go to another one soon. 
  • Circe
    I have brought one now from a local mobility shop, cost just under £400. My friend and I were doing laps in the showroom lol, I am looking forward to using it and realise it may take me awhile to build up muscles and chair skills lol. I even managed to haggle a free crutch carrying bag lol. Haggling is something I hardly ever do but well... if you don't ask you don't get lol.

Making it a fun thing took out the fear of me accepting that I need one, I've just given it a name ! one of my cats thinks its a new throne lol. I am prepared for negative comments from the idiots of society, I was quite surprised how easy and responsive it was turning. I guess the real test will be when I'm out and about on it round my local area.  I am looking forward to be able to do more things on my own and with friends. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 6,632

Scope community team

That sounds like great news @Circe :) I'm glad you managed to find one!

What's it called? :D 

I hope that you don't get too many negative comments from other people. Of course, some people hold negative perceptions around wheelchair users, or why someone might use a wheelchair, but hopefully you'll also find that many people are accepting and accommodating. 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Circe
    That sounds like great news @Circe :) I'm glad you managed to find one!

What's it called? :D 

I hope that you don't get too many negative comments from other people. Of course, some people hold negative perceptions around wheelchair users, or why someone might use a wheelchair, but hopefully you'll also find that many people are accepting and accommodating. 

• Circe
    Hi. I've called it Wanda..
    As it helps to wander  🤣🤣🤣. I have tried it  once on my own before the snow came. 

I was actually surprised as I had random people asking me if I needed help. Could've been the face I was slow and wibbly , I did crash it trying to navigate a curb, and got stuck on a bumpy road. Uphill, even slight gradients were difficult.  I had arm ache, armpit ache and forearm aches after. I guess it's going to take me a lot longer to build up my arms . I had leather gloves on but they kept slipping so I brought some special wheelchair gloves. Due to snow not had it out since. I did find doing shopping a lot easier once I got over the doorway.  So much easier  waiting in a queue than on my 2 sticks.😃. 

• Circe
    So far, no one looked at me like I had 2 heads , even after getting out of it when I got stuck. It did make me think 🤔,  I'm lucky I can get out of it. So many different hazards to navigate. Roads with pot holes, curbs-even dropped are difficult.  Gradients....Well seemed to be the most challenging so far.  I admire those who can whizz around on one ....they must have serious upper body strength!
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 66 Connected
    Hi @Circe I find comfort in people looking/staying...........It means they think I'm really quite fabulous! Enjoy the adulation!  When people stop staring I get worried!
    I am a Scope Volunteer.   I have knowledge about life! Additionally, but not limited to: living with a disability, employing personal assistants (requiring 24x7 care), education (having reached PhD level), sexuality (being gay) managing relationships having a disability (tricky), technology and assistive technology (being a geek), sport & leisure (being a Paralympian and on various committees whose purpose is to maximise inclusion at all levels), mental health (both through personal experience and supporting others), Arsenal Football Club (a necessary part of life).  If I can't help, I will endeavour to find somebody who can.

"You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, smarter than you think and loved more than you'll ever know." - Winnie The Pooh
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 6,632

Scope community team

I love the name @circe :D 

It's good to read that you've been able to get out and about a bit, and that people's reactions haven't been bad :) 

As for strengthening your upper body, I was wondering whether these exercises on Healthline's website might be of help?
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Circe
    I love the name @circe :D 

It's good to read that you've been able to get out and about a bit, and that people's reactions haven't been bad :) 

As for strengthening your upper body, I was wondering whether these exercises on Healthline's website might be of help?
    Thanks I will look at them 🙂, I've also asked a friend to do me a workout plan.
  • Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 241

Scope community team

Hi @Circe I'm just catching up, I'm so pleased you've been able to get Wanda and have been out and about so much :) Mine is called Wilma, must be something about W's. I'm also pleased that you're feeling so liberated. Oftentimes the state of pavements, and of street designs in general, is overlooked, as many non disabled people don't experience them in the same way as we do. 

As a powerchair user I always admire manual chair user's upper body strength too, I couldn't even begin to get up a kerb. I hope the workout plans go well, let us know how you get on! 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Circe
    Hi Alex, w does seem to be the naming letter lol. I'm hoping to go out with her as soon as the weather improves. I been doing some exercise research including the one recommended. I am hoping my muscles will improve in  time, thanks for your reply.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.