Cost of wheelchairs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cost of wheelchairs

Circe
Circe Community member Posts: 68 Pioneering
Hi Everyone, I have a question to ask you all - what do you consider a reasonable price for a self propelled wheelchair? I am still looking at what's out their but I don't know if the ones I like are the correct price or if its a rip off? what do you think the price range should be?
Many Thanks
Carpe Noctem

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Circe that's a good question, but a difficult one to answer I think as it depends on what different people call 'reasonable'. Prices range anywhere from £130-£600. What matters is that it's the right fit for you, and that may come at an extra cost, but ultimately it will make a huge difference as an investment in your independence. Sometimes paying more for the right sized or proportioned chair is worth it over one which causes problems down the line for you and your physical health.

I'd be happy to do some more research into this if you like, and I'm sure our members can share their thoughts in the meantime :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Circe
    Hi @Circe that's a good question, but a difficult one to answer I think as it depends on what different people call 'reasonable'. Prices range anywhere from £130-£600. What matters is that it's the right fit for you, and that may come at an extra cost, but ultimately it will make a huge difference as an investment in your independence. Sometimes paying more for the right sized or proportioned chair is worth it over one which causes problems down the line for you and your physical health.

I'd be happy to do some more research into this if you like, and I'm sure our members can share their thoughts in the meantime :) 
    Yes please, that would be good. I've been to one shop but wasn't given any prices and I'm hoping to go to another one soon. 
    Carpe Noctem
  • Circe
    I have brought one now from a local mobility shop, cost just under £400. My friend and I were doing laps in the showroom lol, I am looking forward to using it and realise it may take me awhile to build up muscles and chair skills lol. I even managed to haggle a free crutch carrying bag lol. Haggling is something I hardly ever do but well... if you don't ask you don't get lol.

Making it a fun thing took out the fear of me accepting that I need one, I've just given it a name ! one of my cats thinks its a new throne lol. I am prepared for negative comments from the idiots of society, I was quite surprised how easy and responsive it was turning. I guess the real test will be when I'm out and about on it round my local area.  I am looking forward to be able to do more things on my own and with friends. 
    Carpe Noctem
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    That sounds like great news @Circe :) I'm glad you managed to find one!

What's it called? :D 

I hope that you don't get too many negative comments from other people. Of course, some people hold negative perceptions around wheelchair users, or why someone might use a wheelchair, but hopefully you'll also find that many people are accepting and accommodating. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Circe
    That sounds like great news @Circe :) I'm glad you managed to find one!

What's it called? :D 

I hope that you don't get too many negative comments from other people. Of course, some people hold negative perceptions around wheelchair users, or why someone might use a wheelchair, but hopefully you'll also find that many people are accepting and accommodating. 

Carpe Noctem
  • Circe
    Hi. I've called it Wanda..
    As it helps to wander  ???. I have tried it  once on my own before the snow came. 

I was actually surprised as I had random people asking me if I needed help. Could've been the face I was slow and wibbly , I did crash it trying to navigate a curb, and got stuck on a bumpy road. Uphill, even slight gradients were difficult.  I had arm ache, armpit ache and forearm aches after. I guess it's going to take me a lot longer to build up my arms . I had leather gloves on but they kept slipping so I brought some special wheelchair gloves. Due to snow not had it out since. I did find doing shopping a lot easier once I got over the doorway.  So much easier  waiting in a queue than on my 2 sticks.?. 

Carpe Noctem
  • Circe
    So far, no one looked at me like I had 2 heads , even after getting out of it when I got stuck. It did make me think ?,  I'm lucky I can get out of it. So many different hazards to navigate. Roads with pot holes, curbs-even dropped are difficult.  Gradients....Well seemed to be the most challenging so far.  I admire those who can whizz around on one ....they must have serious upper body strength!
    Carpe Noctem
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    Hi @Circe I find comfort in people looking/staying...........It means they think I'm really quite fabulous! Enjoy the adulation!  When people stop staring I get worried!
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    I love the name @circe :D 

It's good to read that you've been able to get out and about a bit, and that people's reactions haven't been bad :) 

As for strengthening your upper body, I was wondering whether these exercises on Healthline's website might be of help?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Circe
    I love the name @circe :D 

It's good to read that you've been able to get out and about a bit, and that people's reactions haven't been bad :) 

As for strengthening your upper body, I was wondering whether these exercises on Healthline's website might be of help?
    Thanks I will look at them ?, I've also asked a friend to do me a workout plan.
    Carpe Noctem
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Circe I'm just catching up, I'm so pleased you've been able to get Wanda and have been out and about so much :) Mine is called Wilma, must be something about W's. I'm also pleased that you're feeling so liberated. Oftentimes the state of pavements, and of street designs in general, is overlooked, as many non disabled people don't experience them in the same way as we do. 

As a powerchair user I always admire manual chair user's upper body strength too, I couldn't even begin to get up a kerb. I hope the workout plans go well, let us know how you get on! 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Circe
    Hi Alex, w does seem to be the naming letter lol. I'm hoping to go out with her as soon as the weather improves. I been doing some exercise research including the one recommended. I am hoping my muscles will improve in  time, thanks for your reply.
    Carpe Noctem
  • Circe
    Hi Annabel, I think your local mobility shop should be able to help you. If not I'm sure they can signpost you to someone who can. Apart from the cost the reason I didn't go for an electric chair is that i haven't anywhere to store it. I am trying to build up my confidence and my upper body strength. I haven't been able to go out for a bit due to the weather but im hoping that will change soon.
    Carpe Noctem
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Anabel - I just wanted to quickly comment on the 'battery packs' you mention. Now it depends on what you want, as from what I've seen, these help someone to push you more easily. I normally recommend the Complete Care shop, but reviews on a couple of removable battery packs don't go into detail, but seemed to have poor reviews, so I certainly wouldn't want to recommend them. If you do want it so your wheelchair is more easily pushed by another, then there's this: https://www.careco.co.uk/item-p-wc10051/i-go-powerglide/  Leave it with me longer, should you wish to know more, & I may find something better, tho this has had good reviews, or I may find it cheaper elsewhere.
    I did also find an electric wheelchair that the user can rather control instead on Ebay for £600 (this was just a cursory look, & again I'm willing to look into this further should you wish). Please try searching on Ebay for, 'New MobilityPlus+ Quick-Split Electric Wheelchair' as the link is ridiculously long. I've checked, & you'll find it with that.
    Anyway, either option is cheaper than the amount you've been quoted. If you let me know whether you want something to help someone push your wheelchair, or something so you can better use a wheelchair when needed, please let me know, & I'd be happy to look into it further.

Brightness