Didn't realise I may be entitled to LCWRA element. Could my payments be backdated to when I applied? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Didn't realise I may be entitled to LCWRA element. Could my payments be backdated to when I applied?

Options
Henchy43
Henchy43 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
My wife and I have been on universal credit for 5 years on filling out our forms we indicated that we were both disabled high rate for both elements. We where quite happy going along with the universal credit payment we are getting. A few weeks ago I found out that at the time of our claim we were entitled to LCWRA element. We knew nothing off this element of payment. Nobody told us otherwise. I’ve now applied for this lcwra element. Do I have a case of asking for my payments be backdated to the time of my universal credit application.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Have you gone through the work capability process and been awarded lcwra this is the only way to get the additional payment 
    I doubt the fact you were not aware of the extra benefit would stand up when asking for backdated pay 

Lcwra is paid from the 4th assessment period after reporting a medical condition and providing fit notes 

You won't have provided any fit notes and not reported the medical condition 

Also I'm not certain but hink if it's a joint claim the lcwra is only paid for 1 claimant 

If you have not been through the work capability you need to start this by declaring your medical condition on your journal and provide a fit note 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,021 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    It's not clear what you mean by this. There's no such element for UC.
    Henchy43 said:
    My wife and I have been on universal credit for 5 years on filling out our forms we indicated that we were both disabled high rate for both elements.
    Before you claimed UC which benefits exactly were you claiming?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Henchy43
    Options
    Both of us were and still get pip and war pension disability element. Both are high rate elements.
  • Henchy43
    Options
    We are in the process of applying for lcwra we have sent in our med 3s and officially applied through universal credit by listing our illnesses online. When we applied for universal credit we both listed our illnesses and disabilities anyway. We were neive in regards to applying for other benefits. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    All you can do is wait for the process to be completed and a decision made and if awarded lcwra 

If you reported the condition when you applied for uc you should have been asked for fit note and the process started 

If this wasn't acknowledged I'm surprised you have had no work commitments to comply with 

Unless your war disability element has any impact I'm not sure I don't have any knowledge about this 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.