Is it best to let potential employers know about my mobility issues outright from the start? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it best to let potential employers know about my mobility issues outright from the start?

urbanenergi
urbanenergi Community member Posts: 25 Connected
edited November 2021 in Work and employment
Hi

I’m wondering if it’s best to let potential employers or agencies about my mobility issue out right from the start. I’m a member of an online job search group & thought would it be a good idea to ask if any employer or recruiter wishes to consider me with my mobility issues as I’m having no luck so far. Also then removes my barrier by having an awkward interview later sort of avoid the shock element of the recruiter. I know under the equality act I shouldn’t need to do this but thought if an employer wants to recruit more people with disabilities it would open the door so of thing or is that making the situation worse?

I’m new to trying to get work but also have mobility issues, my past successes have been pre disability. Thoughts? Do I sound as desperate as I am atm?
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

That's a personal choice and there are pros and cons 

I personally would disclose it once it looks like your application is progressing at all 

Only apply for roles that you would be capable of doing in the first place 

I would inform if you are offered an interview 

It shouldn't make any difference if you have a disability but unfortunately in the real world some employers are not disability aware 
  • urbanenergi
    Thanks @janer1967 I just can’t get past interview atm seems to feel like a tick sheet exercise so they can say they’ve considered someone with disabilities but actually gaining employment is another where I have to deal with assumptions all the time on whether I can do the job or not. I’m finding this the hardest hurdle of all. 
  • urbanenergi
    Then the problem is whilst the more of this happening the less confident I become at the person specification list ?
  • urbanenergi
    edited November 2021
    Reading carefully the disability discrimination act very insightful & answers my own question & realise that past employer failed this completely if I was more aware then I may have not felt the need not give up my job. This is reason why I’m scared of other employers doing the same, now armed with a bit of knowledge I can act against this should I face it again.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I understand and its an unfortunate situation disabled people face 

Have you tried to see if a disability job centre work coach could help 

Scope also have a job support programme you can find details in the employment section 

What sort of work are you looking for 
  • urbanenergi
    @janer1967 thank you that’s great I will check that out too ? 
  • M3dcol
    M3dcol Community member Posts: 62 Connected
    Hi @urbanenergi, it is a legal requirement for potential employees to inform employers of any diagnosed disability (physical or mental). You've read the legal so you know that this is primarily for insurance purposes (accident /discrimination etc). Finding work is difficult unfortunately, but don't take rejection to heart, the average is around 40 applications per person pre employment. Some get lucky, others apply for hundreds. What are you wanting to do? 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @urbanenergi

Thanks for reaching out to us today. I hear your concerns. I would typically say yes as then your employer can support you from the start if you require reasonable adjustments. However, in practicality, I know this varies from person to person. As @janer1967 said, there are pros and cons. I would say what matters most is that you feel comfortable. What is your gut instinct currently telling you?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    it is a legal requirement for potential employees to inform employers of any diagnosed disability (physical or mental).

Hi @M3dcol :) 

This isn't quite right. Potential employees aren't required by law to inform the employer of an impairment or condition. It's up to the individual whether they choose to or not. You might like to read this page on talking to your employer about your condition (Scope) helpful. 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • M3dcol
    @Tori_Scope you're right, my autocorrect is a muppet and should be isn't not is. My bad ?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    No worries @M3dcol :) You're right that it's important to try not to take rejections to heart, and that it can take a little while to find the right role. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • M3dcol
    Also missing the ' info', in 'this is *info for insurance' 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    No worries @M3dcol, thanks for letting us know  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • urbanenergi
    @Tori_Scope thank you the link helps ??

@L_Volunteer that’s the tricky one, I know more about what I don’t want to do than know what I want to do. I always make the mistake of having to do the don’t want to do (financially) than want to do now impounded with new questions what I can or can’t do as my body & mind are completely at incongruence as prior I’ve never had to consider disability before which is rather eroding all confidence in myself. Everything in my life is can I manage this then find I can’t or someone deciding that for me which happened upon a job enquiry even my own dad refused to hire me on the basis I can’t manage this without me trying first. To be honest that hurt more even though it’s from a place of caring. Before my condition ruined my life I was really confident, interviews never faxed me more the merrier - now they terrify me in fear of being judged based solely on my disability now that my abilities are suddenly overlooked ?

I am thinking of going back to teacher assistant tho it’s been well over a decade ago since my last experience. Due to safeguarding issues I worry that my stick would cause a problem particularly if I need to stand as I can’t stand long without it my legs tire quickly. Then there’s a shortage of labour in warehousing & packing - but again as my dad said oh you’ll struggle with that line of work now, have prev experience but when I was fully abled. So scared to apply as this industry is difficult to get reasonable adjustments & understanding. Then that leaves me with admin roles, hmmmmm that was causation of my sciatica & leads me back to my last employer despite disability confident ticks weren’t that confident at all. I don’t want to work from home either - I feel isolated enough. So many stuff is wurring round my head.

@M3dcol thank you ?? 
  • M3dcol
    @urbanenergi I'm in the same position, I'm a mechanical engineer by trade but can't do that anymore (dexterity, weight carrying, flexibility), I've worked in retail but all shift on feet sorting deliveries and restocking or on a till where my back felt like it was detaching.

The only thing I have come up with so far was delivering pizza for a friend, I managed 3hrs before I was so stiff that I was bent over for nearly 15 minutes after finally getting out of my car. I'm hoping for the biologic to get going so I can but it's making me tired.

It's hard to know what to do, but giving up isn't an option. There's always something ?
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    I know this might be right out of left field, but have you thought about volunteering so you can get an idea of what you're capable of and for how long?  

It may also help with your future employment as you'll be able to demonstrate that you can do the job you're applying for.
  • urbanenergi
    M3dcol said:
    @urbanenergi I'm in the same position, I'm a mechanical engineer by trade but can't do that anymore (dexterity, weight carrying, flexibility), I've worked in retail but all shift on feet sorting deliveries and restocking or on a till where my back felt like it was detaching.

The only thing I have come up with so far was delivering pizza for a friend, I managed 3hrs before I was so stiff that I was bent over for nearly 15 minutes after finally getting out of my car. I'm hoping for the biologic to get going so I can but it's making me tired.

It's hard to know what to do, but giving up isn't an option. There's always something ?

Thanks you understand yes I was formerly in retail too. I admit it’s something I can’t go back to now. I’ll keep on searching surely something out there for me ?? 

• urbanenergi
    @TheAlien already looked into - all the places that I wanted to volunteer in are not taking further volunteers atm but still keeping eye on the situation for any snap openings ??

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.