Hi, my name is KateJones848! I have hidden disabilities, and want to start my own business — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is KateJones848! I have hidden disabilities, and want to start my own business

Options
KateJones848
KateJones848 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2021 in Work and employment
Hiya my name is Kate and I have hidden disabilities. It would be great chatting to people like myself on here, to share stories, information, and possibilities available opportunities. Sometimes I get very lonely because of my difficulties, so very much looking forward to chatting with you all...

Have a good day all 
Tagged:

Comments

• KateJones848
    KateJones848 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I feel desperate to do some paid work but have, in the past, had challenges within the workplace and am inconsistent because of my complex disabilities, which annoys employers and then makes me feel useless. However, I feel like I do have a lot to give, when I can and want to start my own business, working when I can and not feel like I'm letting anyone down in the process. By becoming my own boss I feel like this can help me in more ways than one but am in receipt of ESA benefits and feel so restricted and do not have any support worker or work coach and do not have any savings to pay the cost of a carpentry course. If there is anyone that has any advice, I would be so grateful, please?!

Kate

• paulmitch26
    paulmitch26 Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    Options
    aww bless you!! have a look on google and see what is available in your area course wise. i think you should accept that work does you no favours and you are to live a life doing what you like! where are you from if you don't mind me asking?
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @KateJones848

Welcome to Scope’s forum. It is great to see you have joined us. And I especially appreciate that you have already reached out to us. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out, especially for the first time.

You can definitely talk to other people with hidden disabilities here on Scope’s forum. You might find our rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions particularly useful for finding other people with similar stories to yourself. If you are interested, you can find it at https://forum.scope.org.uk/categories/undiagnosed_rare_conditions. I think we are a very supportive and friendly community and I hope you find the same, no need to feel lonely with us! 

I think it is great to hear you are aware of the challenges you may experience in employment but also the types of employability which you may enjoy most and find the most accessible. I am just wondering what level the carpentry course would be at? As I am aware there is quite a lot of funding available depending on what level you wish to study at and I would like to provide the most appropriate advice in terms of access to funding for the carpentry course.  Also, Scope has employment support services which you might find useful. If you are interested, you can find them at https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/.

I hope this is useful and I will look forward to hearing from you again soon  :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @KateJones848 :) Thanks for joining the community, and for writing a little bit about yourself and your goals.

It's great to hear that you're interested in setting up your own business. Is it a carpentry business that you're looking to set up?  

We have an information page on trying self-employment, which you might find helpful. 

I'd also definitely recommend getting in touch with our employment services, as L_Volunteer has suggested. They're all really friendly teams, and can help you to work out your next steps.

Do you mind me asking what kind of qualifications you have? 

Would you consider doing an apprenticeship at all? You can search for apprenticeships on this gov.uk page. I had a quick look, and saw a couple of carpentry ones on there.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Dan198523
    Dan198523 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Kate , there is support out there for disabled people to set up their own businesses , DM and I can answer specifics if you still need assistance , regards Dan 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.