Wheelchair insurance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair insurance

Options
Circe
Circe Community member Posts: 68 Pioneering
After finally accepting I need wheels I brought my first wheelchair last week. I googled insurance as I thought best covered than not.

I didn't even know if I could get insurance for a wheelchair,  I knew electrical mobility scooters you can insure them so I was quite surprised that yes you can get insurance! 

I went with The Blue Badge scheme as it seemed the best one & well known . Cost me £24 P.A. cheaper than I thought  so pleased. 

Does anyone one else have wheelchair insurance? Who with? 
Carpe Noctem

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad to hear you managed to get your insurance sorted @Circe

I'd be interested to hear from others about their experience with getting wheelchair insurance and any challenges / notable positives :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, how are you today? I have Blue Badge for my manual wheelchair as I bought it myself and wanted to be covered, just in case.
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Circe said:
    After finally accepting I need wheels I brought my first wheelchair last week. I googled insurance as I thought best covered than not.

I didn't even know if I could get insurance for a wheelchair,  I knew electrical mobility scooters you can insure them so I was quite surprised that yes you can get insurance! 

I went with The Blue Badge scheme as it seemed the best one & well known . Cost me £24 P.A. cheaper than I thought  so pleased. 

Does anyone one else have wheelchair insurance? Who with? 
    Hi @Circe

How are you getting on?

I hope you find @Poppy_'s response helpful :) have you heard of blue badge mobility insurance before? If not, please see some information below about the organisation, that might be helpful for you:

If you have any further questions or queries, please get in touch with us and we would be happy to help :) 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've got insurance for my powerchair with Mark Bates Ltd. It was used when I received my first chair through WhizzKidz, and I've stuck with them since for my new chair. I've never needed to make a claim, and in comparison to you @Circe the price is more expensive, but then it is a powerchair and not a manual one. 

Insurance is definitely worth getting for piece of mind I would say :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Circe
    Circe Community member Posts: 68 Pioneering
    Options
    I've got insurance for my powerchair with Mark Bates Ltd. It was used when I received my first chair through WhizzKidz, and I've stuck with them since for my new chair. I've never needed to make a claim, and in comparison to you @Circe the price is more expensive, but then it is a powerchair and not a manual one. 

Insurance is definitely worth getting for piece of mind I would say :)
    i guess it would be as your chair more expensive, piece of mind its worth it.
    Carpe Noctem

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.