Wheelchair insurance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair insurance

Options
Circe
Circe Community member Posts: 68 Pioneering
After finally accepting I need wheels I brought my first wheelchair last week. I googled insurance as I thought best covered than not.

I didn't even know if I could get insurance for a wheelchair,  I knew electrical mobility scooters you can insure them so I was quite surprised that yes you can get insurance! 

I went with The Blue Badge scheme as it seemed the best one & well known . Cost me £24 P.A. cheaper than I thought  so pleased. 

Does anyone one else have wheelchair insurance? Who with? 
Carpe Noctem

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad to hear you managed to get your insurance sorted @Circe

I'd be interested to hear from others about their experience with getting wheelchair insurance and any challenges / notable positives :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, how are you today? I have Blue Badge for my manual wheelchair as I bought it myself and wanted to be covered, just in case.
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Circe said:
    After finally accepting I need wheels I brought my first wheelchair last week. I googled insurance as I thought best covered than not.

I didn't even know if I could get insurance for a wheelchair,  I knew electrical mobility scooters you can insure them so I was quite surprised that yes you can get insurance! 

I went with The Blue Badge scheme as it seemed the best one & well known . Cost me £24 P.A. cheaper than I thought  so pleased. 

Does anyone one else have wheelchair insurance? Who with? 
    Hi @Circe

How are you getting on?

I hope you find @Poppy_'s response helpful :) have you heard of blue badge mobility insurance before? If not, please see some information below about the organisation, that might be helpful for you:

If you have any further questions or queries, please get in touch with us and we would be happy to help :) 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've got insurance for my powerchair with Mark Bates Ltd. It was used when I received my first chair through WhizzKidz, and I've stuck with them since for my new chair. I've never needed to make a claim, and in comparison to you @Circe the price is more expensive, but then it is a powerchair and not a manual one. 

Insurance is definitely worth getting for piece of mind I would say :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Circe
    Circe Community member Posts: 68 Pioneering
    Options
    I've got insurance for my powerchair with Mark Bates Ltd. It was used when I received my first chair through WhizzKidz, and I've stuck with them since for my new chair. I've never needed to make a claim, and in comparison to you @Circe the price is more expensive, but then it is a powerchair and not a manual one. 

Insurance is definitely worth getting for piece of mind I would say :)
    i guess it would be as your chair more expensive, piece of mind its worth it.
    Carpe Noctem

Brightness