Disabled parent in relationship breakdown — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled parent in relationship breakdown

GMH77
GMH77 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Good afternoon. 
I am a disabled mum of an almost 5 year old child. My spouse and I agreed to separate last month and we are currently co-parenting in the same house. He is my carer and main physical carer of our child. I'm not sure we could maintain this situation permanently but I'm beyond heart broken at the thought of how this will affect my son and my relationship with him. I am unable to look after him, or myself, safely.  

Any guidance or advice will be very gratefully received. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there and welcome to the community 

I'm sorry about your situation  I have been there myself but my son was 10 at the time his dad walked out and stopped any caring or responsibility as a father 

He was obviously more independent than your child would be 

I don't really know what to suggest but kids are more resiliant than we give them credit for 

I know I'm in different situations as I became his sole carer even though i am disabled but no matter that his dad only see him about 4 times a year he is still very loyal to his dad 

Your his mum and that won't ever change 

Always here to chat if you want a listener 
  • GMH77
    Thank you @janer1967 and @Teddybear12

I'm so relieved to have some support. May I ask @janer1967 what physical support is available for the parent and child? If you know of course. I have Muscular Dystrophy so I'm very limited in physical ability. 

@Teddybear12 We will get advice together as we are still friends. We both want our child to be happy and safe. 
  • janer1967
    Hi again 

You can refer yourself for a care needs assessment on gov website 

A ot will come out and do an assessment for things like care , aids adaptions and report recommendations to appropriate services 

This will include care for you and child 

Another option would be to contact children's social services 
  • GMH77
    Thank you again @janer1967

I think it's something I'll have to tackle soon. My son is lucky his dad wants to be there for him. Although I'm worried this could lead to loss of custody for me to save money. It's a really upsetting situation. 
  • janer1967
    I know how upsetting it fan be 

I don't understand about the saving money aspect 

You need to try and put your feelings aside and together come up with the best option for your child 

I know that maybe hard and was my worst fear when I became disabled 6 months after the break up 

You will in most cases get joint custody he needs his mum no matter if you are disabled.  He may not end up living with you but you will still see him 

In my opinion sometimes the one not.living with the child gets the nice side and not dealing with the.day to day struggle 

Just trying to be practical here 

I would suggest legal advice and possible mediation route 
  • Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Hello @GMH77

Welcome to the community .

I am sorry to hear about your recent decision to separate from your husband but it is great that you are keeping things amicable.

If you do need to sort out any financial or child care aspects then family mediation could be the best option as it helps you understand your options and assists you in both reaching an agreement without driving you apart .

If access to mediation sessions is a problem for you then some offer mediation online or by phone.

A good place to start looking for a mediator near you is the Resolution First for family law website . They also have some helpful information so you know what questions to ask and what information you will need to help you make decisions. 

Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.