Hi, my name is Jibran! My friend's son has CP. What kind of SEN support at school can he expect? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Jibran! My friend's son has CP. What kind of SEN support at school can he expect?

Options
Jibran
Jibran Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2021 in Education
Hello one of my friends recently got Tier2 visa , he has a child who has celebral palsy. What kind of SEN support at school can he expect ?

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jibran thanks for joining the forum, and for your query. I would say that can depend on your local authority, and how much they are able to support local schools with SEN funding.

Your friend's child might need an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) to access additional support if the school cannot or does not provide the levels of support they need.  You can find out more here.

Scope also has some information you might find useful on SEN support, and you're welcome to have a look at our Children, parents and families category, your friend might find it helpful :)

I'm sure our members can advise you on their experiences as well, but do let us know if we can help any further.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jibran

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. I really appreciate that you have already found the courage to reach out to us on the behalf of your friend's child. I always recognise how much courage it must take out to reach out, especially for the first time. I would say in the first instance the supports which will be provided will depend on the specific difficulties your friend's child experiences.

To access this support, your friend will benefit from talking to their child's teacher and special educational needs coordinator in the first instance. They will be able to create an individual education plan (or something with a similar name!). Then, to make these supports mandatory to follow, your friend could seek an education, health and care plan from their local authority. 

I hope this helps! However, if you have any follow up questions, please don't hesitate to reach out again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.