Hi, my name is Jibran! My friend's son has CP. What kind of SEN support at school can he expect? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, my name is Jibran! My friend's son has CP. What kind of SEN support at school can he expect?

Jibran Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2021 in Education
Hello one of my friends recently got Tier2 visa , he has a child who has celebral palsy. What kind of SEN support at school can he expect ?


  • Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 796

    Scope community team

    Hi @Jibran thanks for joining the forum, and for your query. I would say that can depend on your local authority, and how much they are able to support local schools with SEN funding.

    Your friend's child might need an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) to access additional support if the school cannot or does not provide the levels of support they need.  You can find out more here.

    Scope also has some information you might find useful on SEN support, and you're welcome to have a look at our Children, parents and families category, your friend might find it helpful :)

    I'm sure our members can advise you on their experiences as well, but do let us know if we can help any further.

    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 914 Pioneering
    Hi @Jibran

    Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. I really appreciate that you have already found the courage to reach out to us on the behalf of your friend's child. I always recognise how much courage it must take out to reach out, especially for the first time. I would say in the first instance the supports which will be provided will depend on the specific difficulties your friend's child experiences.

    To access this support, your friend will benefit from talking to their child's teacher and special educational needs coordinator in the first instance. They will be able to create an individual education plan (or something with a similar name!). Then, to make these supports mandatory to follow, your friend could seek an education, health and care plan from their local authority. 

    I hope this helps! However, if you have any follow up questions, please don't hesitate to reach out again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities, and assistive technology. Pronouns: She/her.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.