Risk Assessment for volunteer staff member, wheelchair user — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Risk Assessment for volunteer staff member, wheelchair user

HGMartinHouse
HGMartinHouse Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited December 2021 in Work and employment
Hello there,

I'm the volunteer coordinator for a charity where we have a number of charity shops in Yorkshire. We've had an enquiry from a lovely member of the public about helping as a volunteer in one of our shops, and she is a wheelchair user. So what I'm needing to do is have the shop risk assessed for a volunteer who uses a wheelchair. We have a duty of care for our volunteers that's different to our customers as it would include use of our onsite toilet facilities and assisting with sorting donated stock.

We also have a duty of care which is slightly different to our paid staff. 

I wonder whether anyone on this forum could advise me in how and who can risk assess this kind of activity? Our own health and safety team have asked me to look into it.

Thank you!

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.