Starting to feel unsafe in my home — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Starting to feel unsafe in my home

Options
MarkM88
MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
Is there anything I can do? 

I live in a building that is separated into 4 blocks. Each block has its own main door and inside there are 2 flats on the ground floor and 2 on the top floor. So 16 flats in total. 

On 3 occasions now someone has tried to get into my flat with their key. 

I’ve also been informed that all our main keys we all have work in each other’s blocks but we all have our own keys for our own flats (thankfully ha). 

So I can only come to 2 conclusions, either they are drunk and going into the wrong block and thinking my flat is theirs, or an old tenant with keys for the main door still. 

I have expressed frustration to my housing officer, but I can’t really see what else I can do? 

I don’t know who it actually is as I feel unsafe when it happens I don’t want to go out and see or go to the window. 

I’m not sure the police would be interested if I can’t say who it was. 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Sorry to hear this @MarkN88

We once had something somewhat similar, in that two older men were trying to gain access to where we live even though we didn't recognise them at all when looking through a window. This was at 1am/2am in the morning so we assumed that they were just people who had had too much to drink and thought they lived here. 

The advice given to us was to speak with them from a safe distance if we were worried, so through an open window or safely from the other side of the locked door. Is that something you could do? Just to ask who it is and what they are looking for?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If it's possible that former tenants still have keys for the main door could you suggest that the lock on that door is changed?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    Options
    @Ross_Scope yeah it could be a good idea to try and see who it is or try and peak through the window if it happens again. 

@woodbine I’m going to contact the housing officer again and discuss the lock situation. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would suggest cctv or one of those doorbell that you can see who is there 

Even putting up a false cctv camera could deter someone though if they ars drunk probably wouldn't notice 

But with real cctv or the doorbell you can identify them as well as deter 

Sorry this is making you feel unsafe in your newplace 
  • MarkM88
    Options
    @Teddybear12 yes I’ve sent an email to him and asked if he can call me as soon as he can. 

@janer1967 I’ve been thinking of a ring doorbell or something along those lines. 

I think I might need the landlords permission to put one up? 

Also because my door is opposite the other ground floor flat in my block I’m not sure if that would cause issues with having a camera pointing forward and capturing them too. 
  • janer1967
    Options
    Yes that could be a problem but you can ask the question 

Are they just trying your door or the others as well 

Do you have a chain on the door so if they opened the lock they still couldn't get in might make you feel safer 
  • MarkM88
    Options
    I think they seem to be trying mine and no there is no chain but I could look into that too. 

I could also try and speak to someone at the police as someone else told me they should have someone responsible for home safety. 
  • janer1967
    Options
    You could talk to police but to be fair I'm not sure how quick they would respond 

I would ask housing 9f

Officer about a chain easy to do and doesn't impact others 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Options
    If you have a multi point locking door you can lock it with the front door key and leave the key in at night, that way a key from the outside won’t work. NB remove the key before going out as you’ll find you can’t get s key in from the outside either! A locksmith would be needed £100 plus! 

If its just a yale lock then these are simple to change and have a deadlock of course, ie a locking snib. Another precaution is to have an actual mortise deadlock fitted. Also as Jane has mentioned a security chain is a good idea.

best wishes ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.