OCD PIP award - short term again? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

OCD PIP award - short term again?

griff11
griff11 Member Posts: 124 Pioneering
Brief summary.  Adult daughter had 2 year award ending Feb 2022 of enhanced for both due to OCD.  No review was new application (previous thread here https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/464851#Comment_464851).  Just had two letters - I am here appointee.  First letter enhanced DL & standard mobility from Dec to Feb 2022,  so reduced current award,  
Then enhanced DL & standard mobility till Nov 2024,  should I challenge period of award as she's had OCD since young teens so over 10 years.  Only claimed PIP in last 2 years as it's got much worse since late teens but despite having a disabled student award at 19 no one told us that she may be entitled to PIP  - she's mid twenties now, and we just supported her.   I know it was our responsibility to find out entitlement but I thought it was just for physical disabilities.  

Anyway do I appeal as last time I was told I should have continued appeal as length of award too short. 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 6,088 Disability Gamechanger
    Appeal if you think it's the right thing to do.
    Be kind to newer members
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,792 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    You can appeal if you wish to. The first stage is to request a Mandatory Reconsideration.

If you do not wish to have any other aspect of the award looked at again make clear that you are only challenging the length of the award and do not refer to any other aspect of it (to do so would be to invite it being looked at again).

Of course, if you do wish to challenge the level of award as well as the length you can do both. However I note that the reduction is on the mobility section as a result of dropping from 12 to 10 points. If these points were scored based on whether or not she can leave the house or needs to be accompanied that may be correct. This is because if she could previously leave the house but needed to be accompanied she would have got 12 points whereas if now she cannot leave the house at all (on the majority of days) then she would only get 10 points.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • griff11
    GP has changed /added to her meds so she will now go out in car with her hubby driving but still won't get out of car.  This aspect we are hoping will improve as they've added a anti anxiety pill to help especially with transition to new anti depressant.   Previous ones she's coming off caused insomnia when they upped does 6 months ago and never improved .  
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,792 Disability Gamechanger
    If there is a suggestion in the information you provided that her ability to do things may change that could be a justification for a short award.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,627 Disability Gamechanger
    griff11 said:
    GP has changed /added to her meds so she will now go out in car with her hubby driving but still won't get out of car.  This aspect we are hoping will improve as they've added a anti anxiety pill to help especially with transition to new anti depressant.   Previous ones she's coming off caused insomnia when they upped does 6 months ago and never improved .  

If that change in condition was after the assessment took place then this won't be taken into consideration. If you're hoping her condition will improve, so she's able to go out with support then you need to think whether the longer award would be appropriate here.
    A longer award length is only given if no change in condition is expected.
  • griff11
    What I'm trying to avoid is the stress of repeating the process.  Last time when I posted she had 2 year award I was told I was wrong to accept it on this forum.  OCD is life long, it can't be cured but you have to find coping mechanisms.  They are thinking the increase in her medication and side effects opposite effect so hoping the change will get her back to how she was before.  Not good but at least she would let people in her house and leave it. 

Shes had to terminate her online counselling due to cost - £120 a session and they said without 2 sessions a week it would be ineffective.  She's had her 8 sessions on nhs a few years ago.  She's seeking a new counsellor in new year that she can afford.  She's more wary now as discovered that a counsellor she saw for a week intensive therapy in February 2020 and paid almost £3000 misrepresented her qualifications & experience and is being investigated.  She only found out a few weeks ago and told me she thought all this time there was something wrong with her as she didn't benefit from the week.  She's been blaming herself all this time .   She's still using the APP from the expensive counselling for exposure therapy but currently it's telling her that her anxiety too high to do them .  She doesn't have low level issues to start with !  It's all high level .  Hopefully with her husband home for Xmas break he can support her as she tackles it.

I've spoken at length with her today and she's happy with level of award and pleased she's avoided the upset of last time when she had zero points before MR & appeal as she gets upset  with lack of understanding of OCD and the original decision was so brutal in dismissing her health issues .
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,627 Disability Gamechanger
    griff11 said:
    What I'm trying to avoid is the stress of repeating the process. 
    I understand that but a longer award is usually only given if conditions are not expected to change. You've already said that you're hoping her condition will improve and hopefully she will be able to go out with support, which could mean Enhanced mobility next review.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.