Help! Refused PIP, should I do a MR? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Help! Refused PIP, should I do a MR?

CharlieRose256 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all

I recently had a PIP decision - I got 4 points in daily living and 0 in mobility. I am in the process of writing my MR, but I looked on here, and someone said they don't take into account any changes since assessment. The thing is, my circumstances have changed quite drastically since my assessment - TW: suicide attempt

I had a suicide attempt mid December, and my functioning has significantly declined, to the point I've had to move back in with my parents and now rely heavily on them for pretty much all ADLs. My medication has also changed due to this, as my GP no longer feels comfortable prescribing me pretty much anything due to risk. My question is - should I bother with a MR or just reapply? 

Many thanks


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 13,272 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

    As you say if doing mr they only look at how you were at the assessment as that is the decision you are disputing not how you are now 

    Changes to medication will have no impact on your claim it's about how you functio  against the descriptors 

    For mr you need to detail the points you think you should have scored and give real life examples of what happens 

    As for if you should reapply on basis of changes I would in your situation get some expert advice before doing anything from welfare rights 

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,533 Disability Gamechanger
    You are correct that any worsening of condition will not be taken into consideration. A worsening of condition must be present for at least 3 months and you must expect it to last at least a further 9 months.
    PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors.
    A change of medication isn't really going to help. If you reapply using the same evidence you just used then another refusal is likely.
    I'd advise you to get some expert advice to check that you can score enough points needed for an award before going any further. Start here for this and choose a topic "welfare benefits"

  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,697

    Scope community team

    Hi @CharlieRose256
    Wishing you a warm welcome to the community, I hope you were able to enjoy your Christmas. I'm sure you'll enjoy taking part here, this is a very supportive and welcoming community so I hope you enjoy getting involved.

    I hope the replies received above have been helpful for you, as mentioned it might be worth seeking some professional advice regarding your benefits before proceeding. You could use Advice Local for this, enter your postcode and see what comes up for your local area.

    Sorry to hear about what you have been through with your mental health, and thank you for talking about your experiences. Have you discussed any other avenues of support with your GP? If they don't want to give you any medication, they might be able to arrange other treatments such as therapy. 

    Please continue to access your GP to discuss your mental health, especially if you feel as though you need further support or if it is becoming harder to cope. You can also call Samaritans on 116 123 or text "Shout" to 85258 to be put in touch with a trained volunteer.

    You mentioned that your suicide attempt was in mid-December, how are you getting on now? Have things improved for you since moving back in with your parents?

    I will be sending you an email from [email protected] with further details, so please look out for that in your email inbox.
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.


Need to talk?

Over Christmas the online community might be a little quieter than usual, so if you need urgent emotional support or if you feel like you might be in crisis, please read up about how to stay safe for now and find help.

You can also speak to somebody in confidence by calling Samaritans on 116 123 for free or send an email to
[email protected]

Of course, if you feel like you might be at risk right now, please call 999 or visit your local hospital.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.