Help! Refused PIP, should I do a MR? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help! Refused PIP, should I do a MR?

CharlieRose256
CharlieRose256 Community member Posts: 68 Courageous
Hi all

I recently had a PIP decision - I got 4 points in daily living and 0 in mobility. I am in the process of writing my MR, but I looked on here, and someone said they don't take into account any changes since assessment. The thing is, my circumstances have changed quite drastically since my assessment - TW: suicide attempt

I had a suicide attempt mid December, and my functioning has significantly declined, to the point I've had to move back in with my parents and now rely heavily on them for pretty much all ADLs. My medication has also changed due to this, as my GP no longer feels comfortable prescribing me pretty much anything due to risk. My question is - should I bother with a MR or just reapply? 

Many thanks
They/them/she/her pronouns please.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

As you say if doing mr they only look at how you were at the assessment as that is the decision you are disputing not how you are now 

Changes to medication will have no impact on your claim it's about how you functio  against the descriptors 

For mr you need to detail the points you think you should have scored and give real life examples of what happens 

As for if you should reapply on basis of changes I would in your situation get some expert advice before doing anything from welfare rights 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    You are correct that any worsening of condition will not be taken into consideration. A worsening of condition must be present for at least 3 months and you must expect it to last at least a further 9 months.
    PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors.
    A change of medication isn't really going to help. If you reapply using the same evidence you just used then another refusal is likely.
    I'd advise you to get some expert advice to check that you can score enough points needed for an award before going any further. Start here for this and choose a topic "welfare benefits" https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @CharlieRose256
    Wishing you a warm welcome to the community, I hope you were able to enjoy your Christmas. I'm sure you'll enjoy taking part here, this is a very supportive and welcoming community so I hope you enjoy getting involved.

I hope the replies received above have been helpful for you, as mentioned it might be worth seeking some professional advice regarding your benefits before proceeding. You could use Advice Local for this, enter your postcode and see what comes up for your local area.

Sorry to hear about what you have been through with your mental health, and thank you for talking about your experiences. Have you discussed any other avenues of support with your GP? If they don't want to give you any medication, they might be able to arrange other treatments such as therapy. 

Please continue to access your GP to discuss your mental health, especially if you feel as though you need further support or if it is becoming harder to cope. You can also call Samaritans on 116 123 or text "Shout" to 85258 to be put in touch with a trained volunteer.

You mentioned that your suicide attempt was in mid-December, how are you getting on now? Have things improved for you since moving back in with your parents?

I will be sending you an email from community@scope.org.uk with further details, so please look out for that in your email inbox.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.