I have ADHD. I was just turned down for PIP. Any advice? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have ADHD. I was just turned down for PIP. Any advice?

Options
tracy1966
tracy1966 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I was diagnosed with combined adhd in July after being misdiagnosed until 55 with depression. I have had to finish in a job that I partly loved but was struggling with due to my adhd. I live on my own and was advised to apply for PIP, which I only wanted until I can go back to work again. I've just been turned down for any PIP at all. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @tracy1966 :) It's great to have you with us!

I'm sorry to hear that your PIP claim wasn't successful at this stage. Would you like to challenge the decision? 

If so, your next step would be to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR). Have you heard of that before? 

Perhaps you could take a look through this page on PIP MRs on the Turn2Us website, and let us know whether you have any further questions? 

If you decide to go for an MR, try and think of ways to strengthen the evidence you're providing against each relevant descriptor. 

Do you mind me asking whether you claim any other benefits at all? 

I was also sorry to read that you were misdiagnosed for so long, though I'm sure you're aware this is quite common, especially in females with ADHD. Are you receiving enough support to help you manage your ADHD now? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,122 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @tracy1966 - & welcome to the community. PIP is about any difficulties you have at least 3 months prior to applying, & which you expect to last for at least 9 months. It might be an idea to seek some advice before continuing to ensure this would be the right benefit for you, & that you could get sufficient points to hopefully get an award. Please see: https://advicelocal.uk/    choosing 'Welfare benefits' from the drop down menu.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.